The Case of the Exploding Smartphone

How Samsung survived one of tech history’s worst disasters

Licensed from iStock

Jonathan Strobel of Boca Raton, Florida was shopping in a Costco store on September 9, 2016 when the smartphone in his front pants pocket exploded. The Samsung Galaxy Note 7 burned through Strobel’s pants leg. He had a second-degree burn on his right thigh and another burn on his thumb when he tried to…



Outstanding stories objectively and diligently selected by 40+ senior editors on ILLUMINATION

Get the Medium app

A button that says 'Download on the App Store', and if clicked it will lead you to the iOS App store
A button that says 'Get it on, Google Play', and if clicked it will lead you to the Google Play store
Barry Silverstein

Author, blogger and retired marketing pro. I like to write about brands, products and people of the past. Please visit my website: