The Donald is So 2020
Ten things I’m looking forward to in 2021:
- The pandemic will be handled like a public health crisis rather than a political conspiracy. The logistics of the vaccine roll-out will be managed by people with experience in large-scale vaccination programs. The CDC will be run by epidemiologists. Our president will tell us honestly how bad the situation is and what we need to do about it.
- People coming to our borders fleeing violence or disasters will be greeted with compassion.
- Our finest scientists will be provided with every resource necessary to determine how we can turn back the doomsday clock that is our planet’s atmosphere and oceans. The earth will be protected — by legislation where possible, by executive order where necessary — from the depredations of reckless development and exploitation.
- We will begin rebuilding our economy by rescuing the families now facing homelessness and destitution. People who have lost their jobs will get a chance to earn a living wage renovating our national infrastructure.
- The United States will be a responsible member of the community of nations, cooperating with our allies to stand up for human rights around the world.
- The US Department of Justice will be dedicated to pursuing justice for all who live within our borders, protecting us from domestic terrorism, prosecuting corrupt officials at all levels of government, and watching over law enforcement agencies to see that they are serving and protecting their communities.
- Our president will read his daily briefing, seek the best advice available from doctors, scientists, and other people who know things he doesn’t, listen to those specialists, and make decisions based on facts.
- The Congress will debate and maybe even make some progress on issues like health care for all, immigration reform, income inequality, protection of voting rights, and safeguards against abuses of presidential power. Progressive Democrats will argue that we’re moving much too slowly. Conservative Republicans will accuse the new majority of moving much too fast. There will be rallies, speeches, marches, demonstrations — all the normal trappings of democracy.
- The conspiracy theorists, right-wing militias, anti-vaxxers, and the rest of the lunatic fringe will return to their rightful place on the margins of our public discourse.
- Ordinary citizens will check the news once or twice a day and otherwise devote themselves to pursuing happiness in their ordinary lives, while the Donald keeps on making noise, cheered on by the dwindling few who want to cling to 2020.