20 Positive Tips to Be Happy NOW
Simple Tips you can use today to generate Happiness
“I am determined to be cheerful and happy in whatever situation I may find myself. For I have learned that the greater part of our misery or unhappiness is determined not by our circumstance but by our disposition.” ~ Martha Washington
Are you caught in the “I’ll be happy when…..” Syndrome?
I am sure you’ve caught yourself a time or two saying things like, “I’ll be happy when I lose 5 kgs,” or “I’ll be happy when I find Mr./Mrs. Right,” or “I’ll be happy when I have my dream home,” or “I’ll be happy when my husband/wife changes his/her attitude.” etc etc.
It does not really work like that. Does it?
In my experience I have come to realize that, success follows happiness. Not the other way around. When we really feel happy things in our life begin to take a positive turn.
Something To Ponder Over
Just think about it — Is it easier to attract Mr./Mrs. Right with a look of sadness and doom on your face, or with a cheerful smile and bright outlook on life? Is it easier to live healthily and exercise when you’re miserable or when you’re feeling good? Will you ever be able to afford that dream home when you’re so negative you can’t attract abundance? And as far as the husband/wife goes … is it possible that when you’re lighter and happier, people around you will seem easier to deal with and more fun to be around?
Deciding and Intending
Don't worry. It’s easier to get over the “I’ll be happy when….” syndrome than you think.
It’s as simple as making the decision and setting that intention to be happy NOW — you may very well find that you attract all that you want by first becoming happy, by simply deciding and intending to do so.
Here are 20 positive tips you can incorporate in your life today that will free you and lead you to happiness — NOW!
20 Positive Tips to Be Happy NOW
- Sit down and create a list of 50 things you love and then go ahead and actively engage yourself in one or two of the items on your list. Maybe your list includes a favorite movie, making up silly poetry, a messy pizza, gardening etc.
- Please accept yourself and love yourself — unconditionally. Practice extreme self-care and set healthy boundaries. Self-love is not selfish.
- Just Stop resurfacing and rethinking the past. Don’t invest your energy in things you can’t go back and redo. Make peace with it. Get out of the past and into your life.
- Do not make the mistake of comparing your life to others. Don’t try to walk in their shoes — you have no clue what their life’s journey is all about. Keep your feet in your own shoes and follow your own path. Discover your own life’s purpose.
- Schedule something enjoyable: listen to your favorite music, call a friend, order a pizza you love, play with children. I know most of us have no time to do anything other than work, hence schedule it. When you schedule a fun time, you will stick to it and have fun.
- Oh please, don’t waste your precious time and energy on idle gossip.
- Take a really good look around you. Who are you spending time with? Are they draining your energy? Clear out your heart space and physical space to make room for positive, like-minded people who will contribute to your life — not take away from it.
- Laugh a lot, smile a lot, and lighten up. Don’t take yourself so seriously. Life is more fun when we greet it with a smile.
- Let go of the “what if’s”. Please do not bother rehearsing the future with a whole lot of “what if’s” — it never turns out like you rehearsed it — and then you have wasted every minute you were caught up in the worry of it….time you could have spent more positively.
- Drink water, water, and more water! One of the first signs of dehydration is a mood swing. Drinking more water could be the easiest way to lighten your mood, sharpen your thoughts, and feel better quickly.
- Embrace your dreams and dream Big! Even while you’re awake — dream big! Working towards that dream will reignite your passion and life purpose.
- You need to realize that there is only one person responsible for your happiness — and that person is YOU. No one can make you feel sad or down unless YOU let them.
- Know without a doubt that everything happens FOR you — not TO you. Problems are opportunities for personal and spiritual growth. Embrace your life. All of it.
- Being right is not a necessity. You don’t always have to be right. It’s perfectly fine to agree to disagree. It's freeing.
- Take a nature walk. Research shows that walking is great way to de-stress. Not only does a walk get your energy flowing, it also helps you breathe more deeply and allows you to process emotions more clearly. Plus the green in nature is an instant happy boost.
- Firmly practice mindfulness — in everything you do. Be IN the moment you are IN and not somewhere else.
- Considerably reduce your expectations and change your perceptions. Don’t try to change things you can’t control.
- You don’t have to have what everybody else has. Don’t long for what everybody else has. Its boring really. Know that you have everything you need and carve your own path. Envy is a wasted emotion.
- Clean out the clutter. Being surrounded by clutter can cause you to feel overwhelmed, stuck, and stressed. Look around you and focus on what space feels the heaviest in your room, and then clear clear clear. That clean energy has a mood-boosting effect.
- Say NO to hatred and revenge. Life is too short to waste on these negative emotions. It’s like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die. It will eat you up inside. Forgive. Then Drop it…let it go like a balloon in the sky forever.
Just think a little, imagine a little… what your life would be like if you made these choices?
What would positively change?
How would your life improve?
***Now its YOUR turn: Share your own Positive Tips in the comments below and let's all get HAPPY together right now!***
Zeenat Merchant Syal is a Practicing Counseling Psychologist & Spiritual Counselor. She writes on Healing the Mind, Heart & Soul through Positivity on Positive Provocations & offers Online Counseling there too.
More Articles on Spirituality, Mental Health & Healing:
How to Rediscover Your Life’s Purpose?
PLUS 9 Questions to Help You to Find Your Life’s True Purpose
How to Be Non-Judgmental of Yourself & Others
PLUS 4 Positive Ways to Squash the Judgmental bug!
*A version of this post originally appeared on www.PositiveProvocations.com*