22 Motivational Serena Williams Quotes To Inspire You To Chase Your Dreams
The end of an era — Serena Williams “evolving away from tennis.”
“I’ve been reluctant to admit that I have to move on from playing tennis. It’s like a taboo topic. It comes up, and I start to cry. I think the only person I’ve really gone there with is my therapist.” — said Serena Williams.
Serena Williams is a superstar athlete and a legend of women’s tennis.
A 23 times grand slam champion, breaking the record for the most titles by a woman in the Open era of professional tennis — Williams not only has helped modern-era tennis evolve with point-winning power from all areas of the court; she has undoubtedly helped society evolve with her willingness to change the dialogue about body image and strong women ferociously pursuing their goals.
By force of serve and personality and long-running achievement, she has become synonymous with tennis while managing to transcend it as a Black champion — with symbolic reach.
As she announced her impending retirement from tennis in an article published in Vogue, Williams is the biggest inspiration for many women, parents, children, and players in the sport and otherwise.
With an undying passion, killer instinct, and the zeal to reach the top — Williams has proved that you can be a woman and a woman of color and still conquer your dreams.
To celebrate her achievements as a tennis player, a daughter, a wife, and a mother, we share “22 Motivational Serena Williams Quotes To Inspire You To Chase Your Dreams.”
You can do it.
Top Quotes From Serena Williams Article Published In Vogue Magazine, 2022.
- “I want to be great. I want to be perfect. I know perfect doesn’t exist, but whatever my perfect was, I never wanted to stop until I got it right.” — Serena Williams.
- “This sport has given me so much. I love to win. I love the battle. I love to entertain. I’m not sure every player sees it that way, but I love the performance aspect of it — to be able to entertain people week after week.” — Serena Williams.
- “Some of the happiest times in my life were spent waiting in that hallway in Melbourne, and walking out into Rod Laver Arena with my earphones in and trying to stay focused and drown out the noise but still feeling the energy of the crowd. Night matches in Arthur Ashe Stadium at Flushing Meadows. Hitting an ace on set point.” — Serena Williams.
- “A lot of people don’t realize that I was two months pregnant when I won the Australian Open in 2017. But I’m turning 41 this month, and something’s got to give.” — Serena Williams.
- “My whole life, up to now, has been tennis. My dad says I first picked up a racket when I was three, but I think it was even earlier. There’s a picture of Venus pushing me in a stroller on a tennis court, and I couldn’t have been more than 18 months.” — Serena Williams.
- “To me, that’s kind of the essence of being Serena: expecting the best from myself and proving people wrong. There were so many matches I won because something made me angry or someone counted me out. That drove me. I’ve built a career on channeling anger and negativity and turning it into something good.” — Serena Williams.
- “I went from a C-section to a second pulmonary embolism to a grand slam final. I played while breastfeeding. I played through postpartum depression.” — Serena Williams.
- “If you watched King Richard, then you know that when I was little, I was not very good at tennis. I was so sad when I didn’t get all the early opportunities that Venus got, but that helped me. It made me work harder, turning me into a savage fighter.” — Serena Williams.
9. “My sister Venus once said that when someone out there says you can’t do something, it is because they can’t do it. But I did do it. And so can you.” — Serena Williams.
10. “I’d like to think that thanks to me, women athletes can be themselves. They can play with aggression and pump their fists. They can wear what they want and say what they want and kick butt and be proud of it all.” — Serena Williams.
11. Nowadays, so many parents say, “Let your kids do what they want!” Well, that’s not what got me where I am. I didn’t rebel as a kid. I worked hard, and I followed the rules. I do want to push Olympia — not in tennis, but in whatever captures her interest. But I don’t want to push too hard. I’m still trying to figure out that balance.” — Serena Williams.
12. “I’m an incredibly hands-on mother. Nothing is a sacrifice when it comes to Olympia. It all just makes sense.” — Serena Williams.
More quotes from Serena Williams to inspire you to chase your dreams.
13. “I really think a champion is defined not by their wins but by how they can recover when they fall.” — Serena Williams.
14. “You just have to prove to yourself that you can go out there and be the best that you can be and not prove anything to anyone.” — Serena Williams.
15. “I love who I am, and I encourage other people to love and embrace who they are. But it definitely wasn’t easy — it took me a while.” — Serena Williams.
16. “I don’t like to lose — at anything… yet I’ve grown most not from victories, but setbacks.” — Serena Williams.
17. “I decided I shouldn’t get nervous and just do the best I can.” — Serena Williams.
18. “I always believe I can beat the best, achieve the best. I always see myself in the top position.” — Serena Williams.
19. “I’ve never felt invincible.” — Serena Williams.
20. “If I have a daughter and she plays tennis, and I have a son who plays tennis, I wouldn’t say that my son deserves more money because he’s a man. I would say they deserve the same amount of money.” — Serena Williams.
21. “Luck has nothing to do with it because I have spent many, many hours, countless hours, on the court working for my one moment in time, not knowing when it would come.” — Serena Williams.
22. “Am I the greatest? I don’t know. I’m the greatest that I can be.” — Serena Williams.
Serena Williams has undoubtedly created new paths for modern athletes by balancing competition and outside pursuits. She is a true inspiration to millions of people around the globe. I will miss watching my idol on the courts.
As New York Times, Christopher Clarey says, “That enduring excellence — a tribute to Williams’s deep drive, phenomenal talent, and innate belief in her own powers — will be a huge part of her legacy, no matter how far she advances in what is surely her final U.S. Open.”
Fam, are you a Serena Williams fan? What’s your favorite quote from her?
Let’s talk in the comments section. 😊