8 Hacks That Will Boost Your Mood for Increased Work Productivity
Here’s a fact: if you don’t start your work with a smile on your face, you’re doomed for the long term.
I believe just recently people became aware of the fact how important it is for you to love your job. Perhaps it has to do with the overall increase in personal development and growth — now, more than ever, people are focused on strategies and tactics that can ultimately boost their well-being and self-esteem.
And that’s a good thing — in fact, it’s amazing. I cannot tell you enough how important the proper attitude is if you want to succeed in pretty much any sphere of your life, your job included. We all used to think that your job is forever going to be this tedious choir you need to do in order to have the chance to fully enjoy your life out of the office. But here’s what we’ve been missing all along — the hours you spend in your office, no matter an actual one or a remote one, are a huge part of your life too. It’s quite naive for us to diminish our job’s importance when we aim at elevating our life experience as a whole.
So today’s topic has to do with tips and hacks on how to boost your mood in order for you to reach the proper work attitude. By the way, you can implement all the following advice in all spheres of life as well.
Mood boosters are equally as important as effort and hard work
We’re used to thinking about having a job we care about as an activity that requires effort and hard work only. By all means, both of these interpersonal traits are of much importance if you want to bring up the best you’re capable of.
But there is another part of the equation that, to my opinion, is often easily missed. I’m talking about having passion and a great mood when it comes to reaching out to your daily tasks and duties.
Think about it. Imagine you nail a fantastic job that seems great on paper: perhaps it allows your professional development and elevation, and perhaps it gives you the much-needed flexibility and freedom you’ve always wished for. You step into the whole process fresh and engaged, only to soon find out that the job of your dreams has turned into this tedious and rather annoying choir you need to implement from nine to five.
In reality, this is exactly what happens for many people out there — no matter how hard they try in terms of effort and hard work, somehow they’ve let passion and great mood escape the building. Once this happens, you’re surely going to face discontent and burnout rather quickly. That is if you don’t take action.
In order for you to always keep a good mood and the right approach, here are 8 pieces of advice that can actually do the trick
Remember that a job should bring not only profit but also joy, satisfaction, and fulfillment. If any of those seem to be lacking all of a sudden, then surely you need to implement some changes in order to keep yourself back on track.
So here’s how to elevate your mood and nail the perfect inspirational approach for your regular work day:
- Quit. Okay, I know I may be starting quite harsh from the get-go, but I really think we need to cross that one before continuing further. If you come to find that your job fails to motivate you, inspire you and enrich your life, then, by all means, you should consider relocating. Ask yourself is the job at fault or is your approach toward it? If you believe the first option is more likely for your case, then waste no time — find a better job for yourself ASAP. Life’s too short doing a job that makes us miserable.
- Give yourself a day off. It may sound counterintuitive, especially if you are generally a hard worker, but it actually makes sense. If you allow yourself to rest for a day, then you have a good chance to eliminate the possibility of burnout. Many people out there just never relax or take days off — yet, sometimes this extra rest day perhaps might be everything you need to recharge and get back your fulfillment.
- If something’s been bugging you, have the courage to speak up. I know it may be hard to openly share your concerns or simply think you began despising, but overall being open about the things that bug you can be quite a liberating experience. Just because you work somewhere doesn’t mean you cannot speak up and express your opinion. Whatever it is that’s the core reason behind your bad mood lately, try your best to figure it out and share it with your manager.
- Change the scenery, if applicable. If you are up to today’s modern standards and have the opportunity to work remotely, then I’d suggest you change your work location from time to time. Being home office doesn’t mean you need to always be at home when you’re working. By working remotely, you have the chance to frequently change the location — perhaps a coworking space or the cafeteria down the street. This way you can certainly elevate your mood since setting yourself in different surroundings can greatly elevate your approach to your workday.
- Engage with proper networking. Having a job can sometimes turn into a rather lonely experience, especially if you have no one to discuss important matters with. A decent way to further elevate your work mood is to surround yourself with like-minded individuals for mutual discussions and further inspiration. Be it coworkers or a newly acquired network, I think it would do you justice if you find people to share your professional passion.
- Make the best out of your lunch break. Here I share my thoughts on the importance of the lunch break but if you don’t have the time to fully dive into the other topic, let me cut to the chase for you: your lunch break can indeed turn into the ultimate mood booster. Think of it as the time when you have the opportunity to recharge and take a break from all the office stuff. Use your lunch hour to reward yourself with a tasty meal while, perhaps, reading a great article, shopping, running some errands, or just blissfully taking a much-needed mental break.
- Try walking to work. Walking and physical activity, in general, is proved to elevate one’s mood. So next time you feel like your energy levels are dropping and your approach to your day-to-day transforms into a negative attitude, try implementing some physical action. Walking to the office is a great way to kick-start your day — while you walk, you can grab a cup of coffee for an even greater personal time early in the morning.
- Express gratitude on a daily basis. If you create the habit of writing down all the things you are grateful for first thing in the morning, you’d be surprised to see how much of a difference this could make in your day-to-day. Expressing gratitude elevates our mood while also helping us to remember all the positive things we have in our lives. Certainly, this quick fix can benefit you a lot if you find yourself in an emotional hole for some reason.
To wrap things up
If there’s anything I wish you take out from this article, it’s this: don’t forget that whatever it is you do for a living should bring you joy, satisfaction, and inspiration. By all means, do your best to further boost your mood and spirits whenever you feel down or dissatisfied. I can promise you that once you chose the positive vibe, everything will start working out for you.