What Is The Significance Of ‘Lotus Flower’ In Spirituality? What Do The Scriptures Say?
The lotus flower is intimately connected with Lord Sri Krishna. Sanskrit language has many words for “lotus,” one being pankaja, or “mud-born.” Panka means “mud,” and ja means “born.”
The roots of the Lotus flower grow in the muddy water, away from the source of sunlight. As the lotus plant grows and rises above the murky water, it catches the sunlight to bloom and reveal its beauty.
The Lotus flower is regarded in many cultures, especially in the eastern religions, as a symbol of purity, enlightenment, self-regeneration, and rebirth.
ONE IS NOT TOUCHED BY SIN — WHEN ONE GIVES-UP WORLDLY ATTACHMENT — AND DEDICATES ALL WORK TO GOD:
One who gives up all worldly attachment, and dedicates all deeds to the Supreme Spirit of God, is not touched by sin as a lotus leaf by water. (Book: Word of God Bhagavad Gita: Chapter 5 verse 10): Ajay Gupta: Amazon.in: Kindle Store : Word of God Bhagavad Gita by Ajay Gupta:
- ब्रह्मण्याधाय कर्माणि सङ्गं त्यक्त्वा करोति यः।
लिप्यते न स पापेन पद्मपत्रमिवाम्भसा।। (5:10)
- Transliteration from the original Sanskrit to English…brahmani: — -in the spirit of God (Brahman); adhaya: — -having placed; karmani: — -actions; sangam: — -attachments; tyaktva: — — having given-up; karoti: — -acts; yah: — -who; lipyate: — -is touched; na…sa: — — not he; papena: — -by sin; padma…patram: — -lotus leaf; iva: — -like; ambhasa: — -by water.
- The lotus plant grows and gets all nourishment from the water in which it grows. It withers away and dries up if taken out of the water. While growing in the water, the lotus leaf is so slippery that water drops do not wet it, and water just slips off.
- Similar to the lotus leaf, a person who remains unattached with the world, and dedicates all deeds to the spirit of God is not touched by the effects of karma deeds.
- The Blooming of Lotus flower signifies rising from the lower regions of lust to the higher regions of enlightenment.
Lord Vishnu is depicted with four hands holding holds four things: a conch shell, a disc, a mace, and a lotus flower, the lotus flower being a symbol of enlightenment and purity.
Both Hindu and Buddhist scriptures abound with analogies of the lotus flower. The word is used as a respectful appellation while describing various attributes of God like “lotus-like feet,” and “lotus-like eyes.”
- The lotus flower is one of Buddhism’s most recognizable symbols of enlightenment and is important in many Buddhist traditions. The famous ‘Lotus Sutra’ is one of the most important texts of Mahayana Buddhism.
Ajay Gupta is a former Naval officer who served onboard Indian Naval warships and aircraft. — He is the author of two books ‘Word of God Bhagavad Gita’ and ‘Want to Know God: For Young and Old.’