Weekly Sprint #2

This week, I sought to continue building the frontend of my website. Unfortunately, I ended up encountering various problems with Bootstrap, yet again. Specifically, I was having trouble making my columns and rows line up correctly. My code became ever messier as I attempt to patch all the apparent holes.

In a moment of clarity, it dawned on me that I must have been misusing the framework for it to become less of a boon and so much more a bane. I spent some time looking over the w3schools page explaining the grid system, familiarizing myself with its proper use.

Rather than immediately attempting to revise my previous pages, I chose to implement my newfound knowledge into beginning the review session page, where I successfully created a title row followed by a row split into three columns: one broader, centered column intended for displaying the artwork, and a thinner column on the left and right of it for the rating sliders and chat, respectively.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Next on my list was working on the rating interface. Sketching out my mockups in the fall, I had blindly assumed that Bootstrap came equipped with sliders. Finding out this wasn’t the case, I searched the web for a solution and discovered that a web developer named Stefan Petre had created a Bootstrap slider mod, and kindly made it available for all to use. After linking to the CSS and JavaScript, I added a slider to the “Rating” column of my review session page, and modified its max value.

A real thrill ride, I know.

Despite my rough start, the progress I made this past week has made me confident that I will be able to complete most if not all of the frontend by next week.