How Infrared Light is Disrupting a $4 Trillion Industry
It is revolutionizing health and medicine as we know it
Infrared light is a part of the electromagnetic spectrum, which is the entire range of light that exists.
This spectrum is divided from longest wavelength to shortest into:
- Gamma ray
Common devices such as remote controls, night vision cameras, thermal imaging cameras, etc. all use infrared light.
In fact, all objects emit electromagnetic radiation and most of the radiation emitted by the human body and the sun is infrared.
Lately, there has been an increased interest and use of infrared light in the medical field.
Here are some ways infrared is changing the game in medicine:
Infrared improves circulation and enhances the wound healing process.
When exposed to skin, infrared light increases the production of nitric oxide, which is a molecule that plays a significant role in the health of blood vessels.
It’s a vasodilator which causes blood vessels to widen thus increasing blood flow and lowering blood pressure.
When blood flow increases, especially to a wounded area, this helps in the wound healing process because platelets for clotting, white blood cells for healing, and oxygen can reach this area faster and more frequently, thus increasing healing time.
Infrared penetrates deep into skin, thus being excellent for pain and inflammation.
Infrared light penetrates deep into skin at about 2 to 7 centimeters. This allows infrared to reach the muscles, bones, and even nerves.
Because infrared improves circulation and accelerates oxygen/nutrients delivery to tissues, it has the effect of reducing inflammation and pain.
Infrared light helps in the regeneration of cells which is unlike ultraviolet light which damages cells.
Supplementing this regeneration is an improvement in the action of mitochondria in cells which assists in the growth and repair of cells and tissues.
Infrared promotes better sleep and reduces stress.
As we all know, infrared light increases the production and release of nitric oxide. Nitric oxide acts as a vasodilator which has the effect of lowering blood pressure and increasing blood flow.
The muscles relax, the body calms down, breathing becomes slower, blood pressure decreases, etc.
All of this has the combined effect of reducing stress from the body and inducing relaxation.
If you are not familiar with melatonin, then hear this.
Melatonin is a hormone that controls our sleep-wake cycle and regulates our circadian rhythm. In the evening, melatonin levels rise which helps promote sleep.
Research has shown that infrared therapy naturally increases the body’s production of melatonin which can help lead to a better sleep.
How & Where Can I Get Infrared From?
Most infrared light devices can be found on Amazon with various names such as Infrared light therapy, Infrared light lamp, Red light therapy, etc.
Red light and infrared are mostly similar but have a different wavelength which means they target different concerns.
Red light is mostly used for skin care such as treating wrinkles, reducing acne, stimulating collagen production, smoothing skin tone, etc.
However, most red light therapy devices combine both infrared and red light to get both benefits. Infrared is invisible so some bulbs in those lamps are going to be off but in reality, they are emitting infrared. Other bulbs will be red because they are emitting red light.
Infrared has a wavelength between 780 nm and 1 mm while red light is 620 to 750 nm.
It’s because of these different wavelengths that they serve different purposes.
If you want to buy such an infrared device, then you can go to Amazon and check out the wide collection of devices that are available.
With so many benefits of infrared light, it makes sense why so many people are resorting to these devices to heal their pain, inflammation, etc. As with everything, moderation is key and too much exposure to these devices is not recommended.
It is always important that manufacturer directions and instructions are closely followed to ensure that you receive the most benefit from these devices and that you keep yourself safe.
Additionally, you may have heard about an “infrared sauna.” Unlike traditional saunas, infrared saunas use infrared light to produce heat and this heat doesn’t really heat the surrounding air.
Instead, it heats your body directly with most manufacturers claiming that 80% of the heat directly heats your body with the other 20% heating the air.
As such, infrared saunas heat the body from within which allows for these saunas to penetrate the skin more effectively while also operating at a lower temperature.
The major benefits of an infrared sauna are improved circulation, decreased stress, reduction of pain and inflammation, skin rejuvenation, etc.
So now you know the benefits of infrared light and hopefully you will share this knowledge with other people.