- Believe in and support gender and sexual equality. For this, you may require the foundational belief that women are worthy of the same rights and opportunities as men. Note that rights are dissimilar from the foodstuff pie; more for women does not mean less for men. Here, “more” implies compensation, inclusion or restoration of currently unavailable rights.
- Understand that sexual harassment or assault is unjustifiable and can never be blamed on a victim (i.e. do not victim shame). A victim may have been intoxicated, unconscious or nude — none of these situational occurrences permits any form of un-consented sexual activity. No means no. Rape/assault jokes have no comical value or effect.
- Advocate for the rights of ALL women. This includes LGBTQ+ women, and women of various races, ethnic backgrounds and religions. Women empowerment refers to women of the world.
- Fight against toxic masculinity. Gender roles have been harmful and damaging to men and women. There is an expectation for men to be physically and mentally strong, stoic, the breadwinner and the protector. It is where healthy, close friendships are termed as homosexual relationships (i.e. showing affection is unnatural and could only possibly exist if men are in romantic relationships). Do not encourage the previous bracketed statement.
- Fully comprehend that women are allowed to make their own choices. If they choose to work, stay home, wear makeup, not be interested in fashion, have frequent sexual intercourse or not at all, have an abortion or have a baby, be interested in dolls or superheroes or both. These are their shots to call.
- This is an optional requirement. As referenced in point 5, a woman should have the choice to abort her unborn child before a specific period of time (roughly 12–14 weeks). However, the feminist movement has lost competent and strong women over the controversial abortion debate, and while this is a critical issue, it is not/should not be a defining factor of whether someone identifies as a feminist or not.
- Be reasonable about the wage gap and its reality, and advocate accordingly. Some professions have much larger wage gaps (Financial Advisors) than others (Vocational Nurses), which may or may not be fair for a variety of reasons. Working hours play a definite role. However, discrimination against working mothers is a real problem (i.e. failing to consider mothers for jobs/promotions due to their societally imposed or personally chosen domestic duties).
- Work to support rational solutions to a twisted reality. For example, women’s football players are paid in figurative dirt due to an apparent lack of viewership (note: “apparent” is used as in 2015 the FIFA Women’s World Cup Final was the most watched soccer match in US History, garnering more viewers than the 2015 NBA Finals, 2010 FIFA Men’s World Cup Final or final games of the 2014 World Series). Protest for companies to increase streaming and make an active effort to instigate and increase public interest in Women’s football. Do not simply attribute the issue to an overused corporate justification and then say our reality “sucks.”
For further information, please contact absolutely anyone with common sense. Refrain from contacting the patriarchy, information may be misguided.