Guage conversion of Sardar Shahar — Ratangarh section completed.
Railway Minister Mr. Suresh Prabhu inaugurated the railway line between Ratangarh and SardarShahar today. After being closed for 5 years, this 45kms section is opened to the public today.
There will be 3 trains running from Ratangarh Jn to SardarShahar railway station. A Timetable for trains between Ratangarh Jn and SardarShahar can be noticed below.
Timeline of gauge conversion work:
- The work on this section is initiated by the then Railway Minister Mamata Banerjee in 2007–08 with an anticipated cost of 695 crores.
- Ratangarh — Sardarshahar section is closed for Gauge Conversion work on 16.08.2012 respectively
- After Mamata Banerjee left the office, the work on this section almost stalled due to lack of budget. refer
- Around 2014-2015, the work on this section resumed with the railway budget allocating 20 Crores. refer
- Work completed and opened to public on 20.06.2017
Even though this section is very short, it took almost 5 years to complete the gauge conversion. This section is neglected as this is the last station in this line and there are no plans to extend it any further.
A brief look into history suggests that this line was initially funded by the Late General Maharaja Sir Ganga Singh, this line was commissioned as a Meter Gauge in 1940s (need confirmation on this one).