Why Test Automation & Top 10 Testing Tools
Why Test Automation?
Test Automation is one of the most cost-effective and time-saving methods for testing software products. Unquestionably, it makes the life of the test engineer a lot easier, when compared to the manual testing.
Software Test automation uses specific tools to control the implementation of testing and compares the expected result against the actuals and reports the test results. Usually smoke tests, sanity tests & regression tests, which have repetitive actions, are automated.
Testing Tools not only help us to execute test scripts but also helps us to automate data set up generation, product installation, GUI interaction, defect logging, etc.
Criteria for Tool Selection
The following parameters are considered, while considering the right testing tool:
- Test Script maintainability & reusability
- Skillset required
- Data driven competences
- Extensibility & Customizability
- Debugging & error logging capabilities
- Platform independence
- Version control friendly
- Support unattended test runs
List of Top 10 Testing Tools that would help you meet your testing objectives.
- Telerik Test Studio is a Windows-based software testing tool which is used for web and desktop functional testing, performance testing, load testing and mobile application testing. The tool ships with a plugin for Visual Studio and an individual app that uses the same repositories and file formats.
- Selenium is a software testing framework for web applications. Selenium provides with an option of record/playback tool for authoring tests without learning a test scripting language (Selenium IDE). The most popular flavour of selenium is the Webdriver, which offers users to create custom reusable scripts that are highly maintainable.
- This tool is used for functional & regression automated testing for enterprise application. The main features of SilkTest are SilkTest Host & SilkTest Agent. The first one contains all the source script files whereas the later one helps translating the script commands into GUI commands
- Appium is open source tool used for automation of native, mobile web, and hybrid applications on iOS and Android platforms. Mainly Appium is “cross-platform” which allows you to write tests against multiple platforms using the same API. Thus, the code can be reused between various test suites.
- Ranorex is GUI test automation framework. This tool is used for desktop, web-based and mobile applications. This tool does not have scripting language; it used standard programming languages such as C#, VB.NET as a base.
- TestComplete is a functional automated testing platform. The tool is developed by SmartBear Software. With this tool automated tests for Microsoft Windows, Web, Android (operating system) and iOS applications can be created. Tests can be recorded, scripted or manually created with the help of keyword driven operations and this can be used for automated playback and error logging.
There are three modules in TestComplete
- Watir Webdriver (Web Application Testing in Ruby, pronounced as water), is an open-source Ruby library for automating web browsers. It pushes Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, Opera and Safari, and is accessible as a RubyGems gem. The tool consists of several smaller & important projects called watir-classic, watir-webdriver and watirspec.
- Visual Studio Test Professional
- The Visual Studio Unit Testing Framework is from Microsoft’s suite of unit testing tools as it is integrated into some versions of Visual Studio 2005 and later. The unit testing framework is well-defined in Microsoft Visual Studio. The Unit tests can be created with the unit testing framework can be executed in Visual Studio or, using MSTest.exe, from a command line. There are various elements in Visual Studio Test Professional which are mainly Test class, Test Method, Assertion, Initialization & Clean-up methods.
- QTP (UFT)
- HPE Unified Functional Testing (UFT) software was formerly known as HP QuickTest Professional (QTP). The tool provides functional and regression test automation for software applications and environments. HPE Unified Functional Testing can be used for enterprise quality assurance. The tool uses Visual Basics Scripting for automation of applications.
- SoapUI is an open-source web service testing application. This is mainly used for (SOA) service-oriented architectures and (REST) representational state transfers. Its functionality covers web service inspection, invoking, development, simulation and mocking, functional testing, load and compliance testing. The commercial version SoapUI Pro, focuses on features designed to boost productivity.