Infrastructure tours around California’s Bay Area
Recommended tours & events
Tours, by organization
PG&E (Pacific Gas & Electric Company)
- Diablo Canyon Nuclear Plant (go before it goes out of commission!)
SFPUC (San Francisco Public Utilities Commission)
- OSP Water Treatment Plant tour [personal visit highlights]
- Hetch Hetchy Reservoir visit
- Headquarters building tour
EBMUD (East Bay Municipal Utility District)
Events by AIA SF (American Institute of Architects)
Events by APA Northern California (American Planning Association)
Events by USGBC Northern California (US Green Building Council)
Events by SPUR (SF Bay Area Planning & Urban Research Association)
Events by ULI SF (Urban Land Institute)
CA ISO control center (California Independent System Operator). As the only independent grid operator in the western U.S., the ISO grants equal access to 26,000 circuit miles of transmission lines and coordinates competing and diverse energy resources into the grid where it is distributed to consumers.
University infrastructure & research
- LBNL (Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory). Berkeley Lab is a member of the national laboratory system supported by the U.S. Department of Energy through its Office of Science.
- Cogeneration plant (instead of tour links, see these links from the late 1990s)
- SLAC (Stanford Linear Accelerator Center). SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory is one of 10 Department of Energy (DOE) Office of Science laboratories and is operated by Stanford University on behalf of the DOE.
- Stanford Central Energy Facility tour Stanford’s electrically-powered heat recovery system
Want to tour a commercial building? Get in touch with the building’s Facilities Manager (FM) to schedule a visit on your own
Past events (that seem worth a revival…)