NEXT. The power of future collective intelligence.
Collective future intelligence to design a desirable-possible future scenario in a specific field and in a given time window. The aim is to answer questions such as:
- How will the ideal hospital outpatient practice function in 5 years’ time?
- How will a family doctor see patients in 7 years’ time?
- What will the management of the surgical field be like in 10 years’ time?
- What will adventure tourism in the Mediterranean be like in 8 years?
How do we study the future?
Leadership has long been based not on imposing wills and ideas but on understanding the keys to the future in order to point towards what is both desirable and possible. History teaches us that systems evolve according to a balance between the various variables that come into play, including politics, technology, economics, labor, social and cultural dynamics, the legal-regulatory framework, and environmental aspects. Studying the future consists of developing models that allow the relevant variables to be selected and played with by making assumptions about how they evolve due to the influences they exert on each other.
The NEXT formula
The formula that the NEXT methodology proposes to anticipate the future in a specific field begins by identifying a group of people with leadership in the field to be futurized. Work is being carried out by applying collective future intelligence techniques in three stages::
- Analytical: Share and analyze in-depth the collective relevant facts and data, related to the field. The knowledge base is filtered by applying an open vision to propose hypotheses and analyze trends that impact our field.
- Creative: Apply creativity techniques that project the trends and hypotheses selected in the rational phase to inspire scenarios of desirable-possible futures.
- Constructive: Develop tools to communicate the scenarios and plan the actions to be taken.
In each of the stages, collective intelligence tools are applied with the intention of gradually reaching a consensus on the various elements of the scaffolding that supports a systemic vision of a desirable-possible future in the chosen scope of work and time-space.