Raj Goodman Anand, The Keys to Building a Strong Team Culture — InnovaBuzz 425
Raj Goodman Anand, Goodman Lantern
In this episode, I’m really excited to have as my guest, Raj Goodman Anand, the founder of Goodman Lantern, a team of native English content writing services that help businesses sell better and grow faster. An engineer by profession, Raj has founded three startups, raised capital, and taken one venture from zero to acquisition. He has not only had a flourishing career within startups but also with large and mid-sized organisations, working on launching startups or new products within them. Products he has built have made companies an income in excess of £45m.
Raj has also won BusinessWeek’s Europe’s Young Entrepreneur (2007) and has been named one of Revolution Magazine’s 50 Most Influential People in Digital (2009). He has spoken at various venues including the Foreign & Commonwealth Office, British Library, and several universities. Raj and his entrepreneurial ventures have had coverage in The Telegraph, Guardian, BusinessWeek, and Observer.
In our discussion, Raj talked to me about:
- The keys to building a strong culture in teams — basically CARE about the people!
- The importance of systems and processes
- The core role and expertise of the business owner is to train the team in culture
Listen to the podcast to find out more.
Listen to the Podcast
Show Notes from this episode with Raj Goodman Anand of Goodman Lantern
Key points and takeaways from this episode include:
- If your team is happy, they will serve your customers in the best possible way, and every client who comes to you wins every time.
- Remote working is one of the most profitable and convenient ways to build, scale, and hire people from across the globe who are really passionate about what you do and what you believe in.
- A team member or any individual cannot function unless you care about them as a person.
- Check-in with your team regularly. Ask them how things are going especially in times of uncertainty.
- Be open with your team. Encourage them to talk about things that are not related to work.
- It is your job to help your team improve and be the best version of themselves.
- Care about your people as you care about the work. That is the most basic step you can take as a business owner to take care of your remote team.
- Caring for people must be the first vision and goal of a business owner.
- Clearly define the core values of your business and make sure that everything do is in line with your ethics and values.
- Be clear about what you and your business stand for when hiring people.
- Focus on one niche and then focus on writing good content.
- Having systems and process that you can replicate and grow is really important.
- Create a knowledge base around your customers that include their requirements, style, tone, and voice. Keep adding to it and use that to consistently produce good content for them.
- Have procedures and methodologies in place for every client that you work with that clearly defines how to communicate with them, who communicates with them first, and how to go about different scenarios when working with them.
- Improve yourself by constantly look at the KPI’s that you have not only for your clients but also for the entire team. Getting feedback and testimonials from clients is also important.
- Schedule regular check-ins between the team and their managers to ensure their efficiency and to openly talk about their ideas that could better the company and their lives.
- Be clear and be transparent with your policies and procedures.
- Online marketing is the ultimate way to get noticed.
- Websites are the holy grail of marketing. It is the focal point that starts your customer’s journey.
- The fundamental difference that will make a company grow is knowing how to learn and adapt new things.
- We should be ready to move in this e-economy, adapt to it, and believe in it. We need to accept that this is the reality of the life we live in, otherwise, we are going to be obsolete very soon.
- People should feel valued for what they do. Money is a good incentive but the real incentive is making them feel satisfied and valued.
The Buzz — Our Innovation Round
Here are Raj’s answers to the questions of our innovation round. Listen to the conversation to get the full scoop.
- #1 thing to be more innovative — Constantly keep learning. Stay hungry and stay foolish. That is the number one way to keep growing.
- Best thing for new ideas — Bring in smart and innovative people. The only way you can grow is by being the dumbest person in a meeting. The ultimate job of a founder is to outsource the innovation process to their team.
- Favourite tool for innovation — Journaling
- Keep project/client on track — Choose your clients wisely. Make sure that they are aligned with your core values.
- Differentiate — Be yourself. Be honest about who you are. Know your challenges and opportunities. Bring in people to complement your weakness and fill in that role for you so that you can shine where you believe are your strengths and with what you bring to the table.
To Be a Leader
Embrace the idea of “freeployment”. Hire more freelancers and make them part of the company. Give them the right incentives to stay with the company and make sure that you are all driving in the same direction to success.
Raj suggested we have a conversation with Sue Ghimire. So Sue, keep an eye on your inbox for an invitation from us to the InnovaBuzz Podcast, courtesy of Raj Goodman Anand.
Cool Things About Raj
- He buys or invests in B2B content-related and marketing technology.
- He’s the Chief Product Officer of GoPinLeads, a platform that elevates marketing outreach to a more efficient and targeted process.
- He speaks Hindi, Spanish, Arabic, and Punjabi.