Actionable Innovations Global Community Notes
May 6, 2022
Actionable Innovations Global is the former Global Education Conference Network community under a new name and leadership. Please visit our online community here: http://actionableinnovations.global and post projects, events, and other items of interest to our network. We’ll share your posts on social media as appropriate!
- FOLLOW UP: Don’t miss the recording of our Actionable Conversation with Nicole Tucker-Smith. Her guidance on curriculum and equity is top-notch. If you are a professional development provider, you might be interested in her free Jumpstart PD professional learning community.
- FOLLOW UP: Here is the recording of our Actionable Innovations Conversation with Shawn Gross. The Digital Education Emergency Relief Initiative is a multinational collaborative with the mission of providing access to critical education and socio-emotional relief for displaced Ukrainian children as a result of war, political unrest and natural disasters. This volunteer-led effort is seeking hardware, software, and support service donations as well as volunteers. Check out their website and join their Facebook group.
- REMINDER: Non-profit organization leaders, if you have an upcoming event to promote, add it to our events page, and we’ll include it on a new upcoming global education events calendar.
- DEADLINE EXTENDED: Consider serving on our advisory board and act as ambassadors for Actionable Innovations Global. Submit an application HERE by May 15th. You must be a member of our community to participate.
MONDAY, MAY 9
NOTE TIME CHANGE
Actionable Innovations Conversations with Ed Tech Entrepreneur Bobbi Kurshan
Monday, May 9th — 11 AM CDT (GMT-5) — REGISTER HERE (free)
On Monday, May 9th at 11 AM CDT (GMT-5), ed tech expert and author Bobbi Kurshan will discuss her life’s work and new book with our professional learning community. Some important findings and key themes from InnovateHERs that will be addressed are:
- Why entrepreneurial women are poised to be successful leaders in purpose-driven organizations.
- How the female entrepreneurial mindset drives professional success in purpose-driven organizations.
- What you can do to develop your entrepreneurial skills and traits to achieve your career goals.
Dr. Barbara (Bobbi) Kurshan has honed her vision of “what can be” using technology while supporting education companies and developing innovative products. She currently serves as a Senior Innovation Advisor at the Graduate School of Education at Penn where she builds and advises education innovation ecosystems.
FRIDAY, MAY 13
Actionable Innovations Conversations with English Teacher Linda Vasu
Friday, May 13th — 1 PM CDT (GMT-5) — REGISTER HERE (free)
On Friday, May 13, 2022, Don Buckley will interview education leader and curriculum expert Linda Vasu about her innovative teaching methodology and more. Come find out how she integrates computational thinking and more into the curriculum.
Assistant Head of School and Director of Academic Programs and Professional Learning at Sacred Heart Greenwich, Linda is a Fellow of the Royal Society of the Arts. She has taught literature and writing at every grade level from second to graduate school in urban and suburban settings and served on the founding leadership teams of three startup schools.
MONDAY, MAY 16
Actionable Innovations Conversations with Courtney Welsh of Global Nomads Group
Monday, May 16th — 8 AM CDT (GMT-5) — REGISTER HERE (free)
The CEO of Global Nomads Group, Courtney Welsh, will update us about her organization’s initiatives and share thoughts on the widening intergenerational gulf between educators and teens and, specifically, on how GNG is working to empower youth in the learning design process.
Courtney is a seasoned leader in the public and nonprofit sectors. She was a founding member and Chief Operating Officer of the NYC Leadership Academy and has consulted for organizations such as the Chan-Zuckerberg Initiative and the Aspen Institute. Courtney holds an M.Ed. from Harvard University and an executive-level certificate from Columbia Graduate School of Business.
FRIDAY, MAY 20
Actionable Innovations Conversations with OER and PBL Expert Rich Dixon of Hāpara
Friday, May 20th — 1 PM CDT (GMT-5) — REGISTER HERE (free)
Rich Dixon will join us for an engaging discussion on Open Educational Resources. How might we, as educators, leverage Open Educational Resources to differentiate learning and promote educational equity? We will review this question as we examine the current OER landscape and explore a framework to help differentiate instruction to promote educational equity. This interview will highlight the role that OER plays in helping diversify teaching and learning resources to meet the needs and context of all learners by creating a responsive learning environment in person, remotely, or in a hybrid setting.
Rich Dixon is the Senior Director of Innovation at Hāpara where he focuses on championing the use of OER to help differentiate learning for all students. He is passionate about applying his 25+ years as a teacher, administrator, staff developer, IT director, and curriculum coordinator to promote differentiated learning that addresses educational equity issues.