Save the World with Exponential Fractions and Logarithms: Stop The Zombie Outbreak
When the inevitable zombie apocalypse threatens the survival of the entire human race, there’s only one thing that stands a chance at defeating it. It isn’t a scraggly-bearded sheriff leading a motley mob of survivors: it’s math!
In this thrilling mini-project, students use exponential fractions and logarithms to help calculate how cities can wipe out a hypothetical zombie outbreak — with or without the help of Rick Grimes and friends.
Here’s an overview of activities you’ll find in the project plan:
- Students will use their knowledge of exponential functions and logarithms to evaluate the impact of a hypothetical zombie outbreak in a city of their choosing.
- Students research statistics on the city, as well as the information they are provided with in order to determine the severity of the outbreak and the possibility of wiping it clean.
- As a final product, students will compose a letter to the Mayor debriefing him on their calculations and the best and worst case scenarios for the city.
The detailed project plan/packet on Goalbook includes:
- Dossier of differentiated documents and mathematical comprehension questions to guide reading and calculations
- Project templates to support students in recording and calculating best an worst case scenarios for their city
- Scaffolded letter templates for students to write about their calculations in a response to the mayor
- Direct, real-world application to State Standards