Analyze Pop Song Lyrics: Write Songs That Pop
Aligned to standards RL.9–10.5: Analyze literary devices, W.9–10.5: Revise and edit to strengthen writing, W.9–10.3b: Write narratives
Sometimes, when we hear a good song for the first time, it’s nearly impossible to forget. The catchy tune and easy-to-remember lyrics get stuck in your head, and you just can’t stop from humming it to yourself throughout the day.
This mini-project is designed to facilitate an analysis of pop song structure and lyrics through a combination of critical reading and narrative writing, with an emphasis on the revision process.
Here’s an overview of activities you’ll find in the project plan:
- Students will analyze the lyrical structure and content of popular songs, looking closely at artists’ choices about their songs’ organization and message.
- As part of their structural analysis, students will consider lyrics’ rhythm, repetition, and syllabic make-up and create a coding system that visually represents the patterns they find.
- In a narrative analysis students will explore the story told by a song’s lyrics and the impact of word choice and narrative techniques on that story.
- After analyzing successful pop songs, students will apply their analysis to the composition of their own, original lyrics.
- The student songwriters will engage in a structured peer feedback and revision process before presenting their finished songs.
The detailed project plan/packet on Goalbook includes:
- Templates to support analysis and composition
- Exemplars to focus inquiry and expectations for final product
- Rubrics for progress monitoring and final assessment
- Real-world application of State Standards in Reading and Writing