If you’ve ever needed some Instagram hacks but didn’t know where to look, well, you’ve come to the right place!
Maybe you’re wondering how to add line breaks to your Instagram bio? Or how to zoom in and out while recording an Instagram story? Or even how to respond to Instagram comments faster?
Whatever your need, in the following post, we reveal 22 Instagram hacks and tips to help you get more from your Instagram marketing. Let’s go!
Instagram Hacks for Creating Cool Instagram Bios:
#1: Add Line Breaks to Your Bio
Have you been trying to write a pitch-perfect Instagram bio but you’re getting frustrated because Instagram removes your line breaks? This is a quick-fix that could make a huge difference to your bio — and leave visitors with a great first impression!
How to add line breaks to your Instagram bio:
- Open a note-taking app on your phone
- Type out your bio, using the return button to create new lines of text
- Once you’re happy with your bio, copy the text
- Open your Instagram app and navigate to “Edit Profile”
- In the “Bio” field and paste your text into the box
- Tap “Done” in the top right of your screen and enjoy your new bio!
#2: Appear in More Search Results on the Explore Page
Did you know that the “Name” field in your Instagram bio is searchable? That means that you can change it to words that highlights what your Instagram profile or business is about.
By including important keywords in your Name field, your chances of appearing in Instagram’s if anyone searches for those keywords will be much higher!
How to do it:
- Tap on “Edit Profile” on the top right of your Instagram profile
- Under your profile picture, you’ll find the “Name” field. Change the text here to include your keywords
- Once finished, tap “Done” on the top right corner of your screen
#3: Link to Other Profiles or Hashtags in Your Bio
Instagram recently launched the ability to add clickable text in your bio. So now when you include a # or @ before a word or account, other users will be able to click it to learn more!
This could be really useful if you’re managing more than one account for your brand, or if you’re running a branded hashtag campaign.
For example, online clothing store, ASOS, does this well as they link from their bio to their Instagram profiles dedicated to health and beauty and sneakers. They also link to their #AsSeenOnMe hashtag which has almost 830k tagged posts!
How to do it:
- From your Instagram Profile page, tap “Edit Profile”
- In the bio section, add any Instagram handles (including the @ symbol) or any hashtags (using the # symbol)
- Tap “Done” in the top right of the screen when you’re finished with your bio
- Instagram will automatically make this text link to the Instagram profiles or hashtags
#4: Find the Right Alignment for Your Bio
There are a few ways to make your Instagram bio standout, and getting the right alignment or spacing for your bio could make all the difference. This one might take some trial and error to get right, but the results will be an eye-catching bio that really stands out!
Remember: You only have 150 characters for your Instagram bio, so be careful to not compromise on your brand messaging to get your alignment right.
How to change the alignment or add spaces to your Instagram bio:
- Open your Instagram account in a web browser. (This Instagram hack can be done in the mobile app, but it’s a lot easier in the desktop version)
- Copy the space between the arrows (make sure you’re copying the space between the arrows, not the arrows themselves!): >>⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀<<
- Tap the “Edit Your Profile” button from your profile page on Instagram
- Navigate to the “Bio” text field and paste the spaces you copied above before each line of text. If your text isn’t perfectly centered, you can always add or delete spaces until you achieve the perfect alignment!
#5: Add Special Characters to Your Bio Name or Caption
Ever wondered how some Instagram profiles have these cute special characters like sun, stars, and pencils in their Instagram bios?
Believe it or not, these are the original emojis you can find in your word processing programs like Word or Google Docs!
Here’s how to use special characters in your Instagram bio using Microsoft Word:
- Open a Word document
- Start typing your bio and where you would like to place a special character go to “Insert”, and “Advanced Symbol”
- Here you can browse for symbols you’d like to include, like zodiac signs or arrows. Wingdings, Wingdings 2 and Wingdings 3 from the drop-down menu have the most icons to choose from
- Add the icons where you would like them in your bio
- Open your Instagram account on your desktop and go to “Edit Profile”
- Copy and paste your bio from the Word document to your Instagram bio and tap “Done” when you’re finished.
Instagram Hacks for Creating Great Instagram Captions:
#6: Add Line Breaks to Your Captions
You can pour a lot of love and energy into creating the best captions for your Instagram posts, but isn’t it annoying when Instagram removes your line breaks from your text?
Well, we have some good news for you: you can add line breaks with the Later app!
Previously, you had to add individual symbols, like stars or dashes, each on a new line of text to create line breaks in your captions. But adding line breaks with Later couldn’t be easier: All you have to do is press the return key while writing your caption and you’ll have lovely, spaced out captions for your Instagram posts!
Don’t believe us? Sign up for Later if you haven’t already and give it a try!
#7: Hide Your Hashtags in Your Caption
As you already know, adding hashtags to your posts can really boost your engagement!
Instagram allows you to have up to 30 hashtags per post, but having them bunched up next to your caption can look messy. The good news? There’s a simple solution.
If you’re using the Later app, all you have to do is add enough returns (about 5–6 should do it) to move your hashtags further down and away from the rest of your post’s caption. When you post your photo, Instagram will only reveal the first few lines of your caption so your hashtags will be hidden.
How to hide your hashtags in your Instagram caption:
- After you’ve written your caption on Instagram, you need to add a series of symbols — dashes, asterisks, or dots, each on a separate line
- This will shuffle your hashtags down and make your post a lot neater when it’s published
Instagram Hacks to Boost the Engagement on Your Instagram Stories:
#8: Get More Instagram Stories Views by Including Hashtags
Did you know that you can add up to 10 hashtags for each your Instagram story posts?
By adding an Instagram hashtag to your story, you’re giving your content an added chance to be seen by new audiences. Most Instagram geo-location tags and hashtags have their own Stories attached to them, which means they could appear on the Explore Page.
So to maximize on this under-utilized hack, add 10 relevant hashtags to your next story!
And if you don’t want to clutter your image with the added text, you can shrink the text size of your hashtags (just ‘pinch’ the hashtag text to make it bigger or smaller) and hide the text under a GIF or Sticker!
No one will be the wiser, but your Instagram Stories could appear on the Explore page for that hashtag.
#9: Share Someone Else’s Instagram Post in Your Story
Found an Instagram post that you love and want to share with your audience? Now you can do it with Instagram Stories!
All you have to do is tap on the arrow button below the post you would like to share, and select “Add post to your Story.” This will then open up Instagram Stories with the post you would like to share in the center of the image. You can then add text, GIFs, stickers, and hashtags as normal.
Once you’re happy with the story, just tap “Your Story” on the bottom of the screen and you’re all done!
If you love sharing user-generated content on Instagram, you can do it using Later’s Search & Repost feature! You can search by relevant hashtags and find posts that are perfect for you to share with your audience, all with the right accreditation.
Give it a go today and see what amazing content other Instagram users are creating and share some love!
#10: Zoom In and Out with a Single Finger in Instagram Stories
If you’ve ever tried to zoom in while recording a video on Instagram Stories, you know awkward it can be to do… Luckily, we have a solution. And you might be surprised by how simple this Instagram hack is:
How to do it:
- Open Instagram Stories in “Normal” mode
- Press and hold the record button to start recording
- To zoom in, continue holding the record button, and using the same finger slide your finger up to zoom in, or slide your finger down to zoom out.
Just remember that if you take your finger off the record button, it will stop recording!
#11: Preview Your Entire Instagram Story Before Posting
Earlier this year, Instagram launched a new Stories feature for Android users that allows you to upload multiple Stories at once. So if you’d like to curate and preview your Instagram Story before putting it live, you can!
How to do it:
- Swipe up from the Instagram Stories camera and then tap on the “Multiple Images” icon in the top right corner of your screen
- You can select up to 10 photos or videos from your gallery — it’s the same process as selecting photos and videos for your carousel posts
- On the edit screen, you’ll see a preview of all the photos and videos you selected at the bottom
- You can tap each one to edit them individually.
- Once you’re finished editing all your images and videos, a preview will upload in the order you selected them
- Once you’re happy with your story, simply tap “Your Story” at the bottom of the screen to make it live
Want to learn how to use your Instagram Stories to grow your business and get more followers? Sign up for our free Instagram Stories course and take your Instagram Stories to a whole new level!
#12: Share a Sneak Peak of Your Instagram Story
If you’d like to entice your audience and share just a tiny highlight of your Instagram story, this hack could come in handy.
Here’s how to flood your screen with a solid colour, and then erase some of that colour for your big reveal!
- Open Instagram Stories and take a photo, or select one from your Later Media Library by swiping up
- Tap the pen icon in the upper right-hand corner of the screen and select a color
- Next, tap and hold on the screen for 1–3 seconds until the screen is filled with a solid color
- Note: The screen will have a solid color fill if you use the marker or neon brush, or a translucent color fill if you use the chisel-tip brush
- Tap the eraser icon on the upper right-hand corner of the screen and select the size of the eraser using the slider on the left-hand side of the screen
- Tap or swipe on the screen where you would like to reveal the underlying image
- Once you’re happy with your image, select “Your Story” on the bottom of the screen to add it to your Stories
#13: Hide Someone’s Instagram Stories Without Unfollowing Them
Maybe you’re not feeling a certain someone’s Instagram Stories — or maybe they’re updating too often? Whatever the reason, we’ve all come across an account whose content we may not like but for some reason can’t unfollow.
Don’t worry, we have the solution — just mute their Instagram Stories!
How to do it:
- Tap and hold on the Instagram Stories avatar of the account you’d like to mute
- Select “Mute.” This moves the story to the end of the queue and prevents it from autoplaying
- To unmute, just tap and hold on the stories icon and tap the “Unmute” option
Instagram Hacks to Grow Your IGTV Channel
#14: Link to Your IGTV Video from Instagram Stories
The launch of IGTV has brought a new wave of video content to Instagram, and we’re very excited about it!
If you’ve just set up and started posting to your IGTV Channel, you’ll want to let your followers know where to find you. And the easiest way to do that is through Instagram Stories.
Here’s how to add a link to your IGTV video from Instagram Stories:
- In Instagram Stories, select the image you would like to post — this could be a screenshot, or a still from your IGTV video
- Tap the “Link” icon on the top right-hand side of your screen and select “IGTV video” from the “Add Link” menu
- Select which video you would like to link to from your Story and tap “Done” in the top right corner of your screen
- Now your followers will be able to swipe up from that Instagram story and go to your IGTV video!
#15: Search and Find Interesting IGTV Videos
Just like Instagram posts, engaging with your community is important to build your IGTV channel. Start by tapping the IGTV icon on the top right corner of your Instagram homepage.
From here, you can search for IGTV videos in multiple ways. If you know exactly what or who you’re looking for, use the search bar in the middle of your screen to type in a username or a keyword like “travel” to find IGTV channels.
To browse IGTV, you can use the bottom half of the screen to find videos that suits you — just like the Explore Page for Instagram posts. You can swipe across any of the sections like “For You,” “Following,” and “Popular” to find trending videos or suggested videos based on your followers and engagement history.
#16: Share a Link to Your IGTV Videos
Want to share (and show off!) your IGTV videos with Instagram Direct or add it to your bio? No problem!
Here’s how to find the unique link to your IGTV videos and share them with your followers:
- Tap the IGTV icon on the top right corner of your home page
- On the right-hand side of your screen, you’ll see a circle with your profile picture
- Tap on your profile picture to be brought to your IGTV channel
- Here you’ll be able to see all your IGTV videos, tap a video to select and it will start playing
- On the bottom right corner, tap on the three dot icon and select “Copy Link”
- The link to your IGTV video has then been copied to your clipboard and you can paste it into your bio, messages or even an email to your mom!
Other Instagram Hacks to Try Out
#17: Turn Your Instagram Feed into a Shoppable Webpage
With Later, you can create a shoppable website that looks just like your Instagram profile, but with one key difference — every image contains a link. These links can go anywhere you like — to your blog, your business website, or any other sites you think your readers will be interested in!
You can even track engagement and click rates with Later’s analytics.
If you’re not using Linkin.bio yet, give it a whirl on one of Later’s Business Plans!
#18: Turn Off Your “Last Active” in Direct Messages
Don’t want to let anyone know when you were last online? No problem, all you have to do is turn off your Activity Status.
Here’s how to do it:
- Tap on the “Settings” icon from your Instagram homepage
- Scroll down to “Activity Status”
- Swipe the slider button to turn off “Show Activity Status”
#19: Save an Instagram Live video
If you want to keep your Instagram Live video for the memories, or even re-purpose it for an IGTV video, it’s super easy to save Instagram Live videos to your phone.
When your Instagram Live stream ends, you’ll see a save button in the upper-right corner, just tap it and the video gets saved to your camera roll. Easy, right?
#20: Reply to Instagram Comments Faster
If you’re running a business, you could find that your followers are asking similar questions like “hey, what time do you open?” or “when will this be back in stock?” — and providing timely answers is paramount!
Well, we have a handy trick for iOS users to help speed up replies to generic messages.
How to do it:
- Go to your Instagram settings and select “General” and then “Keyboard” and “Text Replacement”
- From here, you’ll see a list of pre-populated keyboard shortcuts. Click the + sign in the upper right-hand corner
- In the “Phrase” section, type the generic response you would like to create, for example: “Hi there! We’re open from 9 am to 6 pm every day. Pop in when you can!”
- In the “Shortcut” section, type a word or abbreviation that will represent that full phrase, like “IGopening”
- Now anytime you want to use that specific comment, type out your shortcut and your phone will automatically create the full phrase!
Did you know that you can also manage and respond to your comments from the Later app? If you’re on an Instagram business profile and have a Later Business Plan, you can manage all your comments in one place. Check it out here!
#21: Hide Old Posts from Your Feed Without Deleting Them
If you’ve been giving your Instagram aesthetic an overhaul, there might be a few posts that don’t fit in with your new theme. Luckily, you don’t have to delete them from your page, just hide them in your Archive!
How to do it:
- Tap the three dots at the top of the post you want to remove from your feed
- Select “Archive” and it will be removed from your feed
- If you want to review all your archived posts, tap the Archive icon in the top right of your Instagram profile
- If you want to restore posts to your feed, all you have to do is tap “Show on Profile” on the posts you want to show again, and it’ll show up in its original spot
Want to create the perfect Instagram feed for your business? Check out our free course! In under 30 minutes, you can learn how to design your own Instagram aesthetic and plan the perfect feed so you can grow your Instagram faster.
#22: Replicate ‘Portrait Mode’ with Instagram’s Camera
If you’re trying to get a professional looking shot but don’t have a DSLR, there’s a quick way to improve the look of your photos.
Just switch over the Instagram’s “Focus” mode in Instagram Stories and watch as it blurs the background while keeping a person’s face sharp in the foreground. It’s the quickest and easiest way to mimic those professional photography looks!
There you have it! 22 easy to achieve Instagram hacks, tips, and tricks that could help you boost your profile and build the online community of your dream.
If you’re looking for more tips, join the Later newsletter for tons of tips and training to help you grow your Instagram account!
Originally published at later.com on July 8, 2018.