The Inspire9 Wrap Up: September Edition
Spring has well and truly sprung! And as per usual, this wild and wonderful community has been on fire. As you may have noticed, we’re rehashing the way we share content with you, so from now on you’ll be able to read our community wrap ups on Medium and share the love far and wide.
We’ve bid farewell to one of our longest standing team members (we miss you Joshy!), welcomed many more new faces through the doors at Richmond and Footscray, observed our residents hitting some major milestones and a whole lot more!
So, without further adieu, on to the highlights reel:
- Our fearless community fire-starter Josh has flown the coup! He’s stepped out of his role at Inspire9 and onto his next adventure. We can’t wait to see where he ends up next. We miss the glitter and infectious energy already!
- Global Citizen kicked off another event in their series, Combining Head & Heart: Effective Altruism and Ending Extreme Poverty. Hosted by Sarah Meredith, Australian Country Director for Global Citizen, we had an amazing panel discussion and audience Q&A around impact accountability and effective giving.
- The Cheerio boys from Lennox street showed us how to use our new coffee machine on Level 1. Now we not only know how to make espressos, but also how to shake up a good cocktail!
- We partnered with Speedlancer to present ‘why content & sales are the dynamic duo’ an evening event early in the month. I9 favourite Adam Stone from Speedlancer teamed up with Jon Westenberg (largest Medium blogger in Australia) to explore the truth around sales and content going hand in hand.
- Limbr launched their new mental health app with a kick-ass event in our space. The theme of the event was A Place to Be Real and over 200 people showed up to share beautiful food and feelings.
- We hosted a fireside chat event with the British Consulate-General, Tony Hughes, who came all the way from the UK to have a chat to our startups about how they roll on the other side of the world.
- Inspire9 is proud to have hosted this year’s Alterconf — a conference dedicated to providing safe opportunities for marginalised people and those who support them in the tech and gaming industries.
- We know LinkedIn can seem like an endless void of consultants congratulating each other, but String Nguyen (Top Video Personal Brand on LinkedIn) proved us otherwise! She ran a free workshop called LinkedIn is the new Facebook in the presentation space.
- We had fun this week learning about the awesome power of LEGO® Serious Play® with a free Lunch & Learn with Michael Fearne from Pivotal Play. If you haven’t heard of LEGO® Serious Play®, it unleashes creative energies, modes of thought and ways of seeing that most adults have forgotten they even possessed!
- We’re still holding Office Hours with Adrian Stone, if you’d like to take 20 minutes to pick his brain you can line up a slot with him here.
- Pssst…Triangle coffee offering i9 residents 50% off their first order!
- In terms of new additions to our community, we’re delighted to welcome Marounane Lounis from Vaniday.
- Welcome to Ian Wong — an experienced consulting partner who has left the consulting world and is currently studying innovation ecosystems built on platform models.
- IP Laser is growing, with new devs Ammar Dayoub and Kevin Naude joining the fold.
- With Tom and Ned Jamieson from Slidebot.io now gracing the space, the days of death by Powerpoint are over!
- Recent resident Jamie Speight helps you to get on the career path set for greatness with https://www.advisoryspace.com.au/
- Hello to Alex Quan, cofounder of The Peach Box, an ecommerce site that sells amazing goodies. This is where we’ll be buying Christmas gifts for sure!
- Goodbye Hummingbird! After over a year, our favourite resident smoothie makers and recent stars of Shark Tank have moved to a private office space around the road. Best of luck, we look forward to seeing the business continue to grow.
Footscray at The Dream Factory
- Tom from Tiny has teamed up with Creative Suburbs for an innovative new project that is engaging property developers with communities like never before.
- Level 1 Refresh is coming along nicely, it’s nearly finished and we had some cheeky Friday Night Drinks down there to celebrate and experience the lovely new space. We look forward to bringing more people into the space to work and play.
- #tedfridays at Inspire9 Footscray launched, including our very own special guests Mark Balla and Richmond residents Global Citizen presenting and doing a very special Q&A after.
- Fab9 hosted their own fab event, From Digital to Physical: 3D Printing talks, which talked about all the new possibilities in which 3D printing can be used! They’re now also on Instagram, keep an eye on their updates and progress in the space.
- Snobal are hiring! If you are looking for a new adventure check out the job ad here.
- She Will Shine hosted their wonderful Networking Night for women in business in the new level 1 kitchen! This was gorgeous and beautiful as usual with amazing photos done by The Little Collective!
- New residents joined the space including Sharee from West Footscray Neighbourhood House, Alex, a long time resident from Richmond, joined the Footscray community from ConNetica,
- We also welcomed Patrick who produces high quality designs, with great UX/UI features and ideas for 3Floorsup/Fixd.
- Plus we have a new resident DJ and music producer Sunshine in the house!
- Wayne Lim came on board as our new Designer in Residence. Previously a designer at Kogan, Wayne has already done some amazing work with Inspire9 including the refresh of our brand spankn’ community newsletter. We are super excited to have him on board!