Trans Youth Under Attack: Alabama Doctor Speaks Out Against Recent Hateful Bills
The InterPride podcast series, InterPod, where the world comes together for the LGBTQIA+ community, is proud to launch our 21st episode, Trans Youth Under Attack: Alabama Doctor Speaks Out Against Recent Hateful Bills.
The LGBTQIA+ community has come a long way in the fight for acceptance. Our voices matter and will be heard. Many LGBTQIA+ community members have fought for decades for the right to be seen and heard.
In this episode, we speak with Dr. Morissa Ladinsky (she/her), Associate Professor of Pediatrics, Co-Lead Youth Multidisciplinary Gender Team at the University of Alabama at Birmingham about how two of Alabama’s harmful bills dangerously affect transgender, gender diverse, and expansive youths.
Dr. Morissa Ladinsky is a clinician-educator, Ambulatory Pediatrics Longitudinal care of NICU Graduates Clinician/provider training and provision of affirming care to LGBTQIA+ identified youth and their families in the Deep South.
About the Bills
SB 184: This law makes it a felony punishable by up to ten years in prison to provide gender-affirming care HB 322- the law bans K-12 students from using bathrooms and school facilities consistent with their gender identity. Also, the law bans conversations about sexual orientation and gender identity in classrooms for grades K-5 — very similar to Florida’s “Don’t Say, Gay Bill.”
Awards and Recognitions
- UAB Research in Medical Education Annual Symposium, First Place Award for Educational Innovation: “Closing Healthcare Gaps for Marginalized Populations: A Transgender Standardized Patient Approach”. 2019 UAB
- Department of Pediatrics Educational Excellence Award, 2018, 2017
- American Academy of Pediatrics, Special Achievement Award, 2018 UAB
- Department of Pediatrics Ralph Tiller Distinguished Faculty Award, 2018
- UAB Department of Pediatrics Sergio Stagno Friend of the Housestaff Award, 2018
- TAKE of Birmingham, AL: Hope for Tomorrow Award, 2018, 2019
- UAB Multicultural and Diversity Programs Research and Initiative Award, 2018
- Birmingham Magazine Best Doctors, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
- Cincy Magazine Best Doctors: 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
Listen in as we hear from Dr. Morissa Ladinsky!
Follow us on social media:
Michelle Meow is the host and producer of “The Michelle Meow Show.” The program’s tagline is: ‘Your A-Z, covering the LGBT, LMNOP, and everyone in between.’ Michelle’s mission is to construct opportunities for people to listen in to deep conversations to develop understanding and empathy. She shares, “We simply don’t have enough opportunities to talk and not enough moments to listen.” Michelle’s show can be heard in San Francisco and nationally on the Progressive Voices Network and her local TV show can be seen on KBCW TV and Channel 44.
Michelle also produces programs at the iconic Commonwealth Club, where she has also served on their Board of Governors. There she is dedicated to conversations around social justice with an intersectional lens. She has interviewed notable thought-leaders such as Olympic medalist Adam Rippon, NFL’s first out LGBTQ coach Katie Sowers, the first American woman in space, and Sally Ride’s widow Tam O’Shaughnessy. Since 2006, Michelle has been a co-host of the San Francisco Pride Parade broadcast and she was the President of their Board of Directors from 2014 to 2018. She is a self-described LGBTQI+ history geek, information sponge, and a lover not a fighter.
Michelle shares, “Exchanging thoughtful dialogue can create change. We are all different, but in our differences, we find similarities and hope. Exchanging thoughtful dialogue can create the change we all seek in humanity.”
You can learn more about Michelle and her programming here.