Marketing & Communications Internship With A Global LGBTQIA+ Nonprofit
Great opportunity for a motivated student or individual!
To achieve legal, social, and cultural equity for the SOGIESC (diverse sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions, and sex characteristics) community through the Pride movement.
- To contribute to the visibility and inclusion of SOGIESC communities.
- To connect, grow, and support Pride Platforms and networks globally.
- To assist the Pride movement to design and conduct human rights events that deconstruct myths, lies, and prejudices surrounding SOGIESC realities.
- To maximize networking and communication across the global Pride movement, offer resources, grow and leverage partnerships.
Trust, Respect, Accountability, Diversity, Multiculturalism, Kindness, Bravery
InterPride is the international organization that advances the Pride movement by coordinating with global partners that share our values.
We are uniquely suited to carry out our work because InterPride:
- Works with and supports the visibility and development of Pride networks around the world, thereby contributing to the presence and influence of Pride efforts at regional and local levels.
- Supports the production of Pride events for the global SOGIESC community.
- Manages, supports, and awards WorldPride™, global grant programs, and related initiatives.
Founded in 1982, InterPride is a not-for-profit membership-based organization with more than 300 members from over 60 countries. Sources of income include membership dues, licensing fees, sponsorships, donations, and merchandise sales.
We partner with other international, regional, and national LGBTQIA+ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Intersex, Asexual+) associations and human rights organizations to facilitate social change for LGBTQIA+ people around the world. Each year, InterPride, its partners, and its members engage millions of people through in-person and virtual events, mainstream media, and social media.
- InterPride defines Pride as any public or semi-public gathering led by and for people from SOGIESC communities that promotes visibility and inclusion.
- Such gatherings take many forms including but not limited to a parade, march, rally, festival, as well as events reflecting varying cultural practices such as pageants, traditional dance, ceremonies, and story-telling.
- The nature of Pride gatherings is influenced by political, social, and cultural contexts including constraints imposed by at-risk environments.
- A Pride organization is one that produces a Pride event. An organization may be described as Pride-like where it does not produce a Pride event as described above but aspires to do so. The inability to produce a Pride event may be due to factors such as the prohibition against public assembly, politically hostile environments, lack of funding, or organizational capacity.
The Marketing & Communications (MARCOM) Intern must have a genuine interest in using various digital and traditional marketing and media communication strategies to advance InterPride’s mission. This position will communicate LGBTQIA+ educational messages through earned and social media, direct marketing, digital marketing, audience targeting, content customization techniques, digital behavior analytics, content production and advertising and contribute to the organization’s overall success. During the four (4) month period, the intern will work at least 20 hours per week.
- Current undergraduate or graduate student (Preferred)
- Marketing: 1–2 years (Preferred)
- Ability to dedicate at least 20 hours per week
- Assisting in the creation of digital content for the organization
- Creating and pitching unique social media content
- Brand monitoring and active engagement on InterPride social media platforms
- News stories related to InterPride’s purpose are researched and compiled
- Using creative tools to edit existing digital images and media
- Organizing and helping with preparations for numerous online events
Desired Candidate Qualifications
Recent graduates and undergraduate juniors, and seniors with work or internship experience are encouraged to apply, but all qualified candidates will be evaluated on an equal basis regardless of their age or experience. Candidates from any major are encouraged to apply; however, those with a strong background in marketing, communications, public relations, graphic design, or other related fields are more likely to be selected for this position.
- Strong knowledge of mobile-first, user experience-driven, digital content design
- Strong writing skills
- Understanding of SEO best practices
- Understanding of organic and paid media strategies
- Knowledge of social media platforms and associated analytics tools
- Organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to tackle multiple projects at once and meet deadlines
- Highly motivated to learn, grow professionally and work in a very fast-paced team environment
- Open to giving and receiving feedback
- Have a special interest in marketing, communications, and/or media relations
- Someone who has multicultural and/or multinational experience and is skilled at ensuring content is appropriate for a global audience
- Marketing automation and Google Analytics knowledge are a plus
- Experience with Google Ads for nonprofits a big plus
- Detailed understanding of Accessibility requirements for clear communication with both design and the use of simple language
- An interest in Human Rights and understanding of LGBTQIA+ communities is preferred
A wide range of varied people and communities worldwide hear our messages since we are a global Pride membership organization. Numerous social media initiatives are now under development for publication on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube, Medium, and Spotify, among other platforms. Your work will be viewed by hundreds of thousands of people worldwide through the Internet.
InterPride is constantly conducting research and writing SEO-focused articles published on our website, social media channels, and other digital channels to raise awareness of the Pride movement. Additional initiatives may include different enhancements to our website, with the ultimate objective of making it the premier online resource for information on Pride organizations. The use of keyword research and SEO best practices and intelligent, analytical writing that shows the story and value of work are necessary for this to happen.
Prepare marketing and public education assets for use in print and online communications. Leverage various programs such as Canva, Adobe, and others to generate eye catching visuals for our global audience.
Engagement & Branding
- Utilize follower growth strategies to increase follower counts
- Using imagery and text to achieve engagement
- Understand the overall concept of InterPride, including the brand, members, and external audiences
You should be proficient in Google Workspace, Canva, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe InDesign, Adobe Photoshop, Slack, Zoom, Buffer, and Mailchimp (or anything similar).
Our team is filled with smart, positive, can-do people that support each other in their success. We are looking for someone that wants to join a small, tight-knit team and grow our social media presence. You should be the kind of person that is always experimenting with new methods and knows how to constantly improve a process.
We are an equal opportunity employer and considers all qualified applicants equally without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability status.
- Job Type: Three or Six-Month Unpaid Internship (January-June and July-December) for credit
- Benefits: Flexible schedule
- Schedule: It varies depending on the needs of the organization, and your availability
- This internship is a remote internship
- Communication will be done by phone, zoom, and email