Falling Into Happiness — A Quick Cure
As the last days of fall dwindle and winter darkness looms ahead, it can take a little more effort to shift thinking and reset a negative thought spiral back to positive again — if we let it happen. There are lots of ways to stop the chattering mind and fall back into happiness. If you’re looking for ideas in this department, here are some quick cures to capture a few blissful moments of peace.
Take a walk around the block swinging and stretching your arms freely (and forget about who might be watching). Touch a big old mossy tree (or better yet — try a hug — I dare you). Search the ground for any new seedlings poking through the sidewalk cracks. Poke your finger in the dirt and debris to see what’s hiding underneath. Perhaps in the process you’ll find that the big issue churning away inside is really quite small in the scheme of things.
Now do yourself a favor and kick that big neat pile of crispy orange leaves down the street (please don’t tell anyone it was my idea). Notice what little effort it takes to send them scattering from street to sky. Try hunting down those crazy yellow daisies I saw the other day held up by kitchen twine. Find the last of the hot lips or purple asters still hanging on (but don’t mention summer is over).
If the ground is covered in snow, or hugging trees in the cold rain doesn’t resonate with you, try one of these 10 simple steps to reset your thinking and take back that snap of joy in your feet:
- Get a hug from someone who doesn’t hold back (an added bonus is a free back adjustment).
- Do a few yoga poses until you straighten the kinks and realign the bones.
- Sing any old song you can remember but if you can’t, then ask someone else to sing it for you.
- Meditate for 15 minutes or until you reach a quiet moment and revel in it.
- Read a short passage from your favorite book of inspirational quotes.
- Get out colored pens or pencils and draw some squiggly lines, hearts, and flowers.
- Bake a sugar pumpkin, blend pulp with sautéed onions, coconut milk, and heat for soup.
- Eat a crunchy (organic) carrot all the way down to nothing but the green top still attached.
- Call an old friend and laugh about old times.
- Lay on the couch for 20 minutes with a pet of choice snuggled in your arms.
Let me know if you dared to hug a tree!