IpfsCloud Vision: Changing how the Internet works.
What does it mean to Users and Developers?
As the development of IpfsCloud progressed, so did it’s vision. It started out as a decentralized cloud storage platform, but today it’s an ecosystem.
IpfsCloud(NOT a cloud) is an ecosystem, providing apps, infrastructure, and tools enabling decentralization.
It aims to bring the Internet 3.0, in a friction-less way to the world.
- Censorship, privacy breach, and data monitoring are a big problem with applications.
- Users are losing control over their data.
- It is a cumbersome task for developers to build applications which solve this problem.
In short, this change(to Internet 3.0) is currently a difficult process for both, users and developers.
A new model of the Internet.
- Allows users to gain control over their data.
- Allows developers to create applications which are user- friendly(applications on this model inherently free from Censorship, privacy breach, and data monitoring issues)
- Reduces cost to develop an application for developers.
- Scales with users, making the applications cheaper and efficient as more users join.
IpfsCloud brings this change(from the existing model to the new one) in a manner that is digestible and seamless(not breaking the existing Internet) for both users and developers.
Scenario 1: How will it change experience for the user?
In the existing model, applications manage data for the users. So, users can’t inherently restrict the service providers(email provider above).
They are on the mercy of the service providers.
The new model, allows users to manage their data(explained below). This inherently allows user to have full control over their data.
The service provider merely act as an interface to organize, share(sending emails) your data using their service.
IpfsCloud helps users and developers to shift to this model.
How it helps users to manage their data?
Users of the new model can participate in the decentralized economy. Here users can rent out their storage and computation power to other users. Eventually, this will lead to a sustainable economy which can support the network organically.
How it helps developers?
As all of the data is managed by the decentralized user network, the cost for application development and scaling the drastically reduced.
IpfsCloud provides the infrastructure, and the developer tools to the developers, so that they can focus on building applications, rather that figuring out the internal working of the decentralized platforms.
Easily shift between service providers: Starting a more competitive ecosystem
The new model gives the power to the user to shift between the service providers easily.
This starts a new ecosystem where applications can’t capture a user in its ecosystem(**cough damn Google **cough), which is one of the greatest headaches for the users today.
1. Live working ALPHA including:
- IpfsCloud: Google Drive on Ipfs(Live)
- IpfsHost: Hosting Websites on Ipfs(Live)
- IpfsDocs: Google Docs on Ipfs(Live)
- SafeSearch: Search engine on Ipfs(APIs Live)
- IpfsTube: Youtube on Ipfs(Not Live)
- IpfsCollab: Sharing and simultaneous collaboration of 3d Model(Not Live)
We are providing open APIs so that it can be used for any related applications, eventually accelerating user acceptance as more apps are built on top of the platform.
- 5000 unique users in 3 weeks.
- Listed project in the official list of awesome IPFS projects(awesome-ipfs)
- 150+ pre-registrations for Android app(alpha).
What are the Challenges?
- Lack of Awareness among users: Users today, are trapped inside the comfortable and seamless ecosystem that Giants like Google, Facebook etc. have created. Users need to be made aware more about this.
- General Acceptance: Like the internet took time to become what it is today, decentralization too, has a long way to go. But today we are connected to each other more than ever. Thus, if we have a better platform, we can accelerate its acceptance.
If you are interested in being our very first users and want to check out the app before it hits the playstore then sign-up for our beta testing program here: https://goo.gl/forms/Z9g3BVZrISV1gW8M2
Follow our updates here:
Thanks for reading;)
About the Author
He works as Senior blockchain developer and has worked on several blockchain platforms including Ethereum, Quorum, EOS, Nano, Hashgraph, IOTA etc.
He is currently a sophomore at IIT Delhi.
Learned something? Press and hold the 👏 to say “thanks!” and help others find this article.
Hold down the clap button if you liked the content! It helps me gain exposure .
Want to learn more? Checkout my previous articles.
A complete list of all consensus algorithms.hackernoon.com
In this post we will see how states and transactions are stored in Ethereum and how it is different from Bitcoin.hackernoon.com
A complete comparison of the two scaling methods.hackernoon.com
A Complete List of all Smart Contract supportive Platformshackernoon.com
Clap 50 times and follow me on Twitter: @vasa_develop