For our first six months, we have grown our writer base by word of mouth. It has worked well. We’ve grown from about two to 20 writers. Writers have started seeking us out, so we’re adding some submission guidelines to our site.
What We Are Looking For:
We accept original notes and commentary from women on the right. Whether you’re a libertarian, social, fiscal, foreign policy, or federal conservative — whatever shade of red is claimed, this is a publication meant to showcase red women’s voices. Articles should be 500–1500 words long and express the opinion of the author on any subject of general public interest.
Being intellectually provocative is welcome, but we are generally not looking for listicles, snark, crude language, and pieces seeking to provoke for click churn. For one, they aren’t very informative or helpful, and for another such writing is easily available elsewhere.
How to Submit:
- Write your article in Medium.
- Once your draft is complete, instead of publishing, use the “share” button (at top right in your draft screen as shown below) and copy and paste the draft link into an e-mail.
3. Send your submission to email@example.com.
4. Watch your private comments on the submission. Our first contact may be comments on the piece from Leslie Loftis, Melissa Braunstein, or Rachel Darnall. (Medium’s editorial function allows us to highlight part of your content and comment on it specifically. This is where any substantive editoral requests for new writers are made.) We will notify you by e-mail if your submission has been accepted. Currently that time window is a few days. As volume changes, so will response time. If we choose to run the piece, we will add you to the publication as a writer.
5. Once you are added as a writer you can submit the piece to us on Medium. From your unpublished draft, click on the ellipses (as shown below) at the top of your draft, and select “add to publication”. This will bring up a list of publications you write for. Select “Iron Ladies”, then click “add draft”.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can I submit a piece that I’ve already published in Medium?
Ideally, we prefer previously-unpublished content, but we will consider pieces that are already published on Medium. However, if you are submitting previously-published content, we may ask you create a new draft and then copy/paste the content into it so that you can submit it in draft form.
Will Iron Ladies edit my piece?
Like any publication, Iron Ladies will make minor copy changes, may choose a different title, and/or add a subtitle. Extensive changes or substantive changes, will be sent back to the author for correction, unless otherwise discussed with the editors.
Should I include an image on my piece?
If you have an image you want use please feel free to do so, but it is not required. If a piece is submitted without an image we will add one.
We look forward to reading your submission!