August 2018 Newsletter
Jaeger Project Updates
We are proud to announce that the Jaeger and the OpenTracing projects confirmed their participation in the next Outreachy program under the CNCF Tracing umbrella. The application opens on September 10th, but we’ve selected some tasks already that we’d like to either be part of the internship itself, or part of the application process.
For those of you deploying Jaeger on Kubernetes, we’d like to get your help in testing the new Jaeger Operator. This is meant to replace our Kubernetes template and will simplify the Jaeger Helm chart. Leave your comments in the related GitHub issue or directly as an issue under the jaegertracing/jaeger-operator repository.
Jaeger is also part of the new MicroProfile subsystem for WildFly, being the default tracer shipping with the application server starting from WildFly 14. Check it out and send your feedback!
We would also like to thank the following people, who submitted their first contribution to the project during this month:
- David-Emmanuel Divernois (divdavem)
- Julius Volz (juliusv)
- Michael Irwin (mikesir87)
- liang (yancl)
- Shray Kumar (shraykay)
- Corey Boornazian (cboornaz17)
- Dirk Buchhorn (dbuchhorn)
- billowqiu (billowqiu)
- tsl-karlp (tsl-karlp)
Content from the Community
- Tracing OpenTracing & Jaeger’s Journey part 5 and part 6 by Prakriti Bansal
- OpenTracing: Jaeger as Distributed Tracer by Nedim Šabić
- Israel AWS User Group • Cloud-Native distributed tracing using open source — Jaeger and OpenTracing by Itiel Shwartz
- Cloud Native Vancouver • How To Make Distributed Apps Meaningfully Observable by Vallery Lancey, Checkfront
- DevConf.US • Logging What Matters: Just-In-Time Instrumentation And Tracing (YouTube recording)
- DevConf.US • Tracing Ceph using Jaeger-BlkKin (YouTube recording)
- DevConf.US • Skua: Extending Distributed-Systems Tracing into the Linux Kernel (YouTube recording)
- 2018–08–30 — OpenSource Summit NA 2018 • Open Source at Uber by Brian Hsieh, Uber and Jesus M. Gonzalez-Barahona, Bitergia
- 2018–10–21 — OpenSource Summit EU 2018 • Lab: Observe Your Applications with OpenTracing by Kevin Crawley, Instana
- 2018–10–24 — OpenSource Summit EU 2018 • What are My Microservices Doing? by Juraci Paixão Kröhling, Red Hat
- 2018–11–14 — CloudNativeCon China 2018 • Keynote: Prometheus, Jaeger, and Envoy: The Observability for Today’s Enterprises by Priyanka Sharma, GitLab
- 2018–11–14 — CloudNativeCon China 2018 • Navigating the Distributed Systems Execution Maze With OpenTracing by Ashlie Martinez & Julio Lopez, Kasten
- 2018–11–14 — CloudNativeCon China 2018 • Intro: Jaeger by Prithvi Raj Venkat Raj & Won Jun Jang, Uber
- 2018–11–14 — CloudNativeCon China 2018 • How to Make Distributed Apps Meaningfully Observable by Vallery Lancey, Checkfront
- 2018–11–15 — CloudNativeCon China 2018 • Deep Dive: Jaeger by Prithvi Raj Venkat Raj & Won Jun Jang, Uber
If you are giving a talk about Jaeger at your local meetup or at a conference, tweet about it and tag @JaegerTracing!
Red Hat is hiring a Senior Quality Engineer to work on Jaeger and Istio, in Boston, MA or remote. Apply here.
The Jaeger team at Uber is looking for a Senior Software Engineer in the New York office. Apply here.
We Would Love to Hear From You
And feel free to join our bi-weekly video calls.
— The Jaeger Team