October 2018 newsletter
Jaeger project updates
The 1.8 release is happening soon (watch the tracking issue). It includes a few small breaking changes to the metrics (#1075) and the agent command line options (#1092), and a number of cool improvements to in-page search for the Trace View, courtesy of David Yeghshatyan, who interned at Uber during the summer:
- full text search including span tags, process tags, and logs,
- result counts and navigation buttons,
- highlighting of results in the trace with intelligent expanding/collapsing.
We’ve also made progress with the Jaeger Operator for Kubernetes, adding features like “automatic injection of sidecars” and support for agents as
DaemonSet. Keep testing it and opening GitHub issues for the features you care about.
A few members of the project delivered talks this month about Jaeger and OpenTracing, including Yuri Shkuro at Velocity NYC, Pavol Loffay at EclipseCon Europe and Juraci Paixão Kröhling at Open Source Summit Europe. We are also glad to see non-maintainers talking about Jaeger, like Bernd Hufmann at EclipseCon Europe and Kevin Crawley from Instana at the Open Source Summit Europe. If you talked about Jaeger at any events, let us know!
We’d also like to recognize the following first-time contributors:
- Javier Darsie (xdarsie)
- Miguel Angel Medina Mondragon (kanolato)
- Patrick Ohly (pohly)
- Michael Puncel (mpuncel)
- Chunlin Yang (clyang82)
- Hui Chen (hchenxa)
- Enes Unal (enesunal)
- Martin Foerster (phal0r)
- Trond Hindenes (trondhindenes)
- Sjoerd Talsma (sjoerdtalsma)
- Annanay Agarwal (annanay25)
- isayme (isayme)
- Bruno Tavares (bltavares)
- Andrew DiNunzio (adinunzio84)
- Andres Mendoza (jamendozag)
- Mindaugas Rukas (mindaugasrukas)
- Arief Rahmansyah (ariefrahmansyah)
We are looking forward to your next PR!
Content from the Community
- Observability, by Kubedex
- Interview with Yuri Shkuro, by Molly Vorwerck
- 5 critical components of a microservices security plan by Twain Taylor
- Introduction to Distributed Tracing with Zipkin and Jaeger by Gerred Dillon
- Distributed Tracing with Jaeger 101 by Itiel Shwartz
- Phobos Akka.NET Tracing with Jaeger by Petabridge
- Deploying Jaeger with CloudFormation via Bazel by Zachary DiCesare
Upcoming talks and events
- 2018–11–08 • J-Fall 2018 • Perfecting reliable code delivery for the cloud with Microservices and OpenTracing by Brian Benz
- 2018–11–14 • CloudNativeCon China 2018 • Keynote: Prometheus, Jaeger, and Envoy: The Observability for Today’s Enterprises by Priyanka Sharma, GitLab
- 2018–11–14 • CloudNativeCon China 2018 • Navigating the Distributed Systems Execution Maze With OpenTracing by Ashlie Martinez & Julio Lopez, Kasten
- 2018–11–14 • CloudNativeCon China 2018 • Intro: Jaeger by Prithvi Raj Venkat Raj & Won Jun Jang, Uber
- 2018–11–14 • CloudNativeCon China 2018 • How to Make Distributed Apps Meaningfully Observable by Vallery Lancey, Checkfront
- 2018–11–15 • CloudNativeCon China 2018 • Deep Dive: Jaeger by Prithvi Raj Venkat Raj & Won Jun Jang, Uber
- 2018–12–10 • CloudNativeCon Seattle 2018 • Observability Practitioners Summit
- 2018–12–10 • CloudNativeCon Seattle 2018 • Lightning Talk: Insights From a New Contributor to the OpenTracing & JaegerTracing Projects by Prakriti Bansal, Outreachy — CNCF OpenTracing and Jaeger
- 2018–12–10 • Observability Practitioners Summit 2018 at CloudNativeCon Seattle 2018 • System Comprehension and Root Cause Analysis with Distributed Tracing by Yuri Shkuro, Uber
- 2018–12–11 • CloudNativeCon Seattle 2018 • On the OSS Path to Full Observability with Grafana by David Kaltschmidt, Grafana Labs
- 2018–12–12 • CloudNativeCon Seattle 2018 • Using Application Identity to Correlate Metrics: A look at SPIFFE and SPIRE by Priyanka Sharma, GitLab
- 2018–12–12 • CloudNativeCon Seattle 2018 • Securing Application Telemetry & Tracing with SPIFFE and Envoy by Sabree Blackmon, Scytale
- 2018–12–12 • CloudNativeCon Seattle 2018 • Intro: Jaeger by Yuri Shkuro, Uber & Pavol Loffay, Red Hat
- 2018–12–13 • CloudNativeCon Seattle 2018 • Deep Dive: Jaeger by Pavol Loffay, Red Hat & Yuri Shkuro, Uber
- 2018–12–13 • CloudNativeCon Seattle 2018 • Unified Observability in Kubernetes and Beyond with OpenCensus by Morgan McLean & Jaana Burcu Dogan, Google
Red Hat is hiring a Senior Quality Engineer to work on Jaeger and Istio, in Boston, MA or remote. Apply here.
The Jaeger team at Uber is looking for Senior Software Engineers in the New York office. Apply here.
We would love to hear from you
And feel free to join our bi-weekly video calls.
— The Jaeger Team