September 2018 newsletter
Jaeger named one of the best open source projects for cloud computing by infoworld.com Bossie Awards for the second year in a row.
Jaeger project updates
We released the version 1.7 this month, which includes some improvements to the web user interface, as well as a new Compare Traces feature (read the blog post). Heads up to another change: we unified the name for the “all-in-one” component. Before, it was called “standalone” in some places. Take a look at the change log for the complete list of changes.
We have also changed how the index mapping works for our usage of Elasticsearch for a better integration with Kibana, allowing query and aggregations on span and process tags. This is explained in detail in a separate blog post.
The first version of the Jaeger Operator for Kubernetes is now out! Check it out and send your feedback!
The application process for the next Outreachy program is now open and we are participating under the CNCF Tracing community, together with the OpenTracing project. If you are looking for an internship with a couple of open source projects and have experience with Java, Android or Web development, send your application!
We’d also like to celebrate the following first-time contributors:
- Goutham Veeramachaneni (gouthamve)
- Alexander Brandstedt (mad01)
- Tudor Bosman (tudor)
- Michael Puncel (mpuncel)
- Narayanasamy R (narayanasamyr)
- Serge Catudal (secat)
- Frederic Giloux (fgiloux)
- Ruben Cid (GNURub)
- Martin Negriev (martin123218)
Content from the Community
- 3 open source distributed tracing tools by Dan Barker
- Getting the Most out of Istio with CNCF Projects by Neeraj Poddar
- Distributed tracing in a microservices world by Juraci Paixão Kröhling
- Distributed Tracing Infrastructure with Jaeger on Kubernetes by Masroor Hasan
- Distributed Tracking with Istio on Alibaba Cloud Container Service for Kubernetes by Alibaba Cloud
Upcoming talks and events
- 2018–10–01 — Velocity NYC 2018 • Tracing polyglot systems: An OpenTracing tutorial by Yuri Shkuro, Uber Technologies
- 2018–10–02 to 2018–10–03 — Velocity NYC 2018 • Visit booth #3 to chat with Uber engineers working on Jaeger and M3db.
- 2018–10–21 — OpenSource Summit EU 2018 • Lab: Observe Your Applications with OpenTracing by Kevin Crawley, Instana
- 2018–10–24 — OpenSource Summit EU 2018 • What are My Microservices Doing? by Juraci Paixão Kröhling, Red Hat
- 2018–10–24 — EclipseCon Europe 2018 • Distributed Tracing for MicroProfile Runtimes by Pavol Loffay, Red Hat
- 2018–10–25 — EclipseCon Europe 2018 • Eclipse Trace Compass — Past, Present and Future by Bernd Hufmann
- 2018–11–14 — CloudNativeCon China 2018 • Keynote: Prometheus, Jaeger, and Envoy: The Observability for Today’s Enterprises by Priyanka Sharma, GitLab
- 2018–11–14 — CloudNativeCon China 2018 • Navigating the Distributed Systems Execution Maze With OpenTracing by Ashlie Martinez & Julio Lopez, Kasten
- 2018–11–14 — CloudNativeCon China 2018 • Intro: Jaeger by Prithvi Raj Venkat Raj & Won Jun Jang, Uber
- 2018–11–14 — CloudNativeCon China 2018 • How to Make Distributed Apps Meaningfully Observable by Vallery Lancey, Checkfront
- 2018–11–15 — CloudNativeCon China 2018 • Deep Dive: Jaeger by Prithvi Raj Venkat Raj & Won Jun Jang, Uber
- 2018–12–10 — CloudNativeCon Seattle 2018 • Observability Practitioners Summit
- 2018–12–10 — CloudNativeCon Seattle 2018 • Lightning Talk: Insights From a New Contributor to the OpenTracing & JaegerTracing Projects by Prakriti Bansal, Outreachy — CNCF OpenTracing and Jaeger
- 2018–12–11 — CloudNativeCon Seattle 2018 • On the OSS Path to Full Observability with Grafana by David Kaltschmidt, Grafana Labs
- 2018–12–12 — CloudNativeCon Seattle 2018 • Using Application Identity to Correlate Metrics: A look at SPIFFE and SPIRE by Priyanka Sharma, GitLab
- 2018–12–12 — CloudNativeCon Seattle 2018 • Securing Application Telemetry & Tracing with SPIFFE and Envoy by Sabree Blackmon, Scytale
- 2018–12–12 — CloudNativeCon Seattle 2018 • Intro: Jaeger by Yuri Shkuro, Uber & Pavol Loffay, Red Hat
- 2018–12–13 — CloudNativeCon Seattle 2018 • Deep Dive: Jaeger by Pavol Loffay, Red Hat & Yuri Shkuro, Uber
- 2018–12–13 — CloudNativeCon Seattle 2018 • Unified Observability in Kubernetes and Beyond with OpenCensus by Morgan McLean & Jaana Burcu Dogan, Google
Red Hat is hiring a Senior Quality Engineer to work on Jaeger and Istio, in Boston, MA or remote. Apply here.
The Jaeger team at Uber is looking for Senior Software Engineers in the New York office. Apply here.
We would love to hear from you
And feel free to join our bi-weekly video calls.
— The Jaeger Team