Foojay Podcast #19: Working Free For Fun Brings Fame & Fortune
Many developers spend a lot of their time on side projects. It’s an opportunity to learn new techniques and get involved in communities.
But sometimes it can also lead to a new job.
Or even starting a business based on such a project.
Today we are talking to people who achieved such a transition and became famous and rich, or at least some of each…
- Tim te Beek
- Maarten Mulders
- Lukas Eder
- Frank Delporte
- 00'00 Intro
- 00'31 Introduction of the guests
- 02'28 What projects are the guests working on?
- Maven Central Search: https://github.com/mthmulders/mcs
- 06'34 How Tim got a job at Moderne
- 08'23 The connection between OpenRewrite and Moderne
- 09'23 How jOOQ became a company
- 14'44 Building a product is more valuable compared to offering support
- 21'22 About open-source licenses
- 23'48 Why and how Info Support allows Maarten to work on open-source within working hours
- 27'47 What you can learn from an open-source project
- 28'54 Does every developer have to do be an open-source contributor?
- 32'13 Becoming rich thanks to open-source? Projects versus Products…
- 48’33 About the Fosdem talk about OpenRewrite
- 48’53 Benevolent dictator for life and how to make money from a programming language
- 51'22 Outro