Foojay Podcast #20: Functional Programming, “The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly”
Functional programming… it seems you either love it or you hate it.
But, like everything in software engineering, it is a trade-off.
So for today, let’s focus on the good, the bad, and the ugly parts of functional programming!
- Alejandro Serrano, Software Engineer at 47 Degrees, author of “Practical Haskell”, “The Book of Monads”, and “FP Ideas for the Curious Kotliner”
- Deepu K Sasidharan, JHipster co-lead, Java Champion, Staff Dev Advocate @ Okta, Java, JS, Rust, Cloud Native Advocate, Author, Speaker
- Host: Ties van de Ven
- Producer: Frank Delporte
- https://foojay.io/today/7-functional-programming-techniques-in-java-a-primer/ (Deepu)
- https://foojay.io/today/the-problem-with-functional-programming/ (Ties)
- 00'00 Intro
- 00'17 Introduction of the guests
- 07'40 What is functional programming (FP)?
- 11'50 The same problems exist in FP and Object Oriented Programming
- 13'50 Academic approach to programming
- 17'54 Who of the guests is a FP purist?
- 22'25 Understand the “Why”? Why use FP?
- 28'11 The costs of FP
- 30'57 When to learn FP
- 42'43 What is the future of FP?
- 50'41 Outro