Sheffield / Full-time / £35–£45k (subject to experience)
This is an exciting role within the agency for an experienced senior full stack developer to join our growing multi-disciplinary team. We are looking for someone who has a leaning towards front-end dev, but is also comfortable working across back-end when necessary.
We hope you will be super-excited about working on high profile, creative and dare we say it, innovative projects for broadcasters, media and cultural organisations. You will have the right mix of skills, motivation and passion, combining creative thinking and solid development standards, to help us deliver exceptional and varied projects. You should also have a thorough understanding of accessibility and best practices so we can make our work as inclusive as possible.
Healthcare, extensive holidays, training, bonus schemes, pension contributions, cycle to work, flexible working, socials and lunches — and the potential for career growth — are all part of the package here at Joi Polloi.
Joi Polloi is a double-BAFTA winning independent digital studio based in Sheffield, specialising in creative technology, tools and digital content for the broadcast, media and cultural industries. Our clients include Channel 4, the BBC, Love Productions, Studio Lambert, the Science Museum, Natural History Museum, Museums Sheffield, Sheffield Theatres, and an enviable list of other high profile companies, brands and creative organisations of all sizes nationally and internationally.
We have a broad range of work types that will excite and challenge you, including websites and platforms, content campaigns, software apps and systems. We’re never afraid to take on projects which are creatively, editorially or technically challenging, and do it all with flexibility, good humour and pride.
Our team of designers, developers and producers share a common goal — to produce high quality work and do it with integrity.
We strive for a positive work-life balance and have created a fun, supportive, nurturing atmosphere which recognises, supports and rewards hard work.
Find out more about us on our website: www.joipolloi.com
- writing, reviewing and testing code to a high professional standard
- architecting, planning and implementing project infrastructure and technical approach
- deconstructing, analysing and understanding users’ requirements to inform your work
- reviewing and constructively feeding back on others’ work, and taking on-board feedback from others graciously
- documenting your work, within code comments and in external documentation
- following defined processes and adhering to our standards
- using our project management tools and processes to ensure collaboration and record keeping
- championing security, accessibility and development best practice across the business
- prioritising your own workload
- sharing knowledge across the team and the company
- representing the company at events and conferences
- directing and guiding the work of other development team members, external suppliers and freelancers where appropriate
- contributing to sales proposals, estimating work and participating in pitches
- helping to ensure the company meets its strategic goals and financial targets
Skills and experience
A range of well-developed skills across core development disciplines:
- Expert front-end markup & styling
- Server side scripting, such as Node.js
- Automating workflows (we currently use Bitbucket pipelines / Gulp / ES6 / Babel / Webpack / SCSS).
- Databases (a mix of SQL & NoSQL)
- Architecting applications to be highly efficient, reliable, and resilient under load
- Unit Testing
- Security best practice and techniques
- Version control (Git)
- Demonstrable track record of developing and contributing to concept, design and strategy in projects across varied work types and scales.
- PHP (Symfony, Laravel)
- Other back-end technologies
- Experience with automated testing with CI / CD
- High standards of accessibility
- Interest or experience in other technologies eg AI, AR, VR, native apps
- Demonstrate an understanding of client aims, commercial or otherwise, and then articulate and produce work that supports these.
- Demonstrable community contributions (i.e. open source projects, GitHub accounts, Stack Overflow etc.)
- Strong written and verbal English skills
- You seek out information and feedback required to get tasks done while communicating back to those that are impacted by your decisions
- You play an active part in team working
- You create and nurture strong relationships internally and externally
- You demonstrate good planning to prioritise your workload and deal with issues causing delays
- You anticipate and mitigate against risks
- You pursue and embrace development opportunities
- You are willing to accept new challenges to stretch your abilities
- You spot development opportunities for your colleagues and actively offer support
- You learn from your mistakes
- You recognise gaps in your skills and knowledge and ask for help when you need it
- You’re constantly fascinated by what people really need, and how we can create the right experience to give it to them
- You are up to date with the latest trends, technology developments and industry standards
- You’re enthusiastic, curious and full of ideas.
- You regularly go the extra mile to deliver the best outcomes
- You take ownership and responsibility
- You make a sustained effort
- You are resilient and flexible
- You look for and embrace new ways of doing things
- You always maintain a positive attitude and outlook and encourage others to do the same
- You understand the mission and goals of the business as a whole and everything you do contributes to progressing them
- Phenomenal office space in our newly renovated building in Kelham Island, with super-fast fibre broadband
- Company pension contribution
- Westfield Health plan, including optician and dentist costs
- Training budget
- Cycle to work scheme
- Performance related bonuses
- 24 days plus statutory holiday
- As much tea and coffee as you can drink
We welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.
To ensure we are as inclusive as possible, we are open to discussing flexible or part-time working.
How to apply
If this sounds like the opportunity for you, please send your CV and covering email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing date for applications is 9am, Tuesday 26th November 2019.
Strictly NO AGENCIES.