Let’s remember when I-5 from Everett to Seattle was completed, on this day in 1965 (Februray 3)

By I, Cacophony, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=2272408

With the Highway 99 tunnel scheduled to open tomorrow morning, it’s worth looking at another massive transportation project that is celebrating a birthday today.

HistoryLink tells us:

On February 3, 1965, the section of Interstate 5 from Everett to Seattle is completed. The section runs 19.7 miles from the Eastmont interchange at the southern end of Everett’s city limits to the northern end of the Seattle city limits at NE 145th Street.

Go on…

The big day arrived on February 3, 1965, with all the appropriate pomp and circumstance. Clarence D. Martin Jr., Under Secretary of Transportation of the U.S. Department of Commerce, spoke at a noon luncheon at the Elks Home in Everett and told a crowd of about 300 that this section of freeway would benefit more people than any other highway improvement in Washington state’s history. After lunch, a cavalcade of cars cruised south on the new freeway through the dark drizzly day to the Seattle city limits at NE 145th Street for the ribbon-cutting ceremony. Miss Sno-King, Rose Clare Menalo, pretty in her pillbox hat, cut the ribbon at 2 p.m. Dignitaries then droned through speeches, the Queen Anne High School band played, a color guard from Fort Lewis showed the colors, and despite the dreary weather, a fine time was had by all. As the ceremony ended, a joker drove an old steamroller along the nearby freeway entrance road, loudly tooting its horn in an exclamation point to the end of the ceremony.
The freeway enjoyed several other firsts that day. Shortly before the 2 p.m. ceremony at NE 145th Street, the first auto accident occurred — at the NE 145th Street entrance, and right in front of onlookers gathered for the ceremony. (The Everett Herald noted that the accident involved “a lady driver.”) Shortly after the ribbon-cutting, another driver returning to Everett was stopped by a state trooper, apparently for speeding. Still another hapless driver, perhaps overwhelmed by the excitement, evidently failed to properly fasten his car hood, and it flew up as he drove down the new highway, requiring a rescue by Everett Police Chief Frank Patterson, who secured the offending hood with a wire paper hanger.
People were thrilled with the new freeway. Many drove it the first day, not out of necessity but just to drive it. They were particularly amazed that there were no stoplights on the new freeway — Highway 99, the previous highway between Everett and Seattle, had 26 traffic lights in its section between the Everett and Seattle city limits. The new freeway was expected to cut travel time between Everett and Seattle in half during rush hour, from just over 40 minutes to about 20 minutes.
But within days a problem became apparent. At the freeway exit in Everett, traffic was routed onto the old Highway 99 route along Broadway Street. The operation of the traffic light at 41st Street slowed traffic exiting the freeway to a crawl during peak use. The resulting traffic jams were often several miles long. Finally in 1968 the “Everett section” of I-5 opened between 41st Street and the Snohomish River, alleviating the problem.

Read the whole thing:

*One more thing: Journal of Precipitation is a new, Seattle-area arts and/or culture website that is dedicated to exploring the Pacific Northwest outside of the “usual places” and the cultural zeitgeist. We believe in compensating all of our contributors (even though it is probably modest, compared to larger websites and magazines). If you value what we’re doing, please consider contributing to our Patreon, and allow us to continue to grow and provide coverage of our community.