Assignment No. 2: Team news presentations
Due: Various, depending on signup date | 25% of overall course grade
This assignment will test your ability to identify, define and execute a new-media news story, according to journalism principles learned in class.
You will work in assigned teams of three or four. Each team will find a news story to cover. They will report the story, using at least one interview, personal observation and background research.
The team will create and distribute the story using one of the following tools: Periscope, Snapchat Story, Medium.com, Instagram, Tumblr, Storify, Infogr.am, Piktochart or another new-media platform. (Those teams that create stories on Periscope and Snapchat should save the finished story to the phone’s camera roll, so that the video can be projected in class and turned in to the teaching team for grading.)
The team will present the finished story in class. The presentation should be no longer than 15 minutes, including questions from the class. The presentation must address the following four questions, both during the oral presentation and in writing. (Please submit the written answers on Connect.)
- What makes the story news?
- How did the team find the story and report it?
- What issues or questions arose during the process?
- What lessons did the team learn?
Grading will be based on the following rubric:
- 40% — Understanding of the news-gathering, editing and distribution process.
- 20% — Clear and concise presentation within the allotted time.
- 15% — Quality of writing (i.e., clarity, grammar, spelling).
- 15% — Style and originality of presentation.
- 10% — Confidential peer review.