JS.weekly() => #44: When Developers Disagree
npm link, UI components with optionally controllable state and polling using RxJS
npm link while working on dependencies of the client libraries for Google Cloud Platform. All our libraries use the module
@google-cloud/common. In some cases I needed to immediately see the changes in the larger libraries instead of in isolation in
“Mastering the two-step process of
npm link is a useful addition to the toolset of any Node.js developer. The process consists of running
npm linkin the dependency, and
npm link some-dep in the application.”
“A large number of UI components are a function of some state and they also provide some way(s) of changing that state. A flexible implementation of these components allows both stateful and stateless usages. In React, we can maintain local state in our components via
useState hook. With
useControllableState we can maintain a local state which is optionally controlled by props.”
Tutorial showing polling logic using RxJS with a real world example.
- Have clear policies and coding guidelines wherever possible.
- Treat code review comments as suggestions not orders.
- Do pair code reviews when necessary to alleviate tension.
- Educate developers on the importance of preserving political capital.
- Escalate important points to the whole team.
- Get rid of squeaky wheels.