Published in


Housing Court Blocks Tenants From Suing their Landlords

Dear friends,

Since April 2020, more than 3,000 New York City residents have filed emergency lawsuits against their landlords through our Emergency HP Action (“EHPA”) Tool to stop landlord harassment and receive essential repairs.

At the beginning of the pandemic, the NYC Court system worked closely with JustFix to create a user-friendly tool for use by any New York City renter with an Internet connection. After suing their landlords through JustFix’s tool, many users also received access to free tenant attorneys.

In late May 2021, JustFix learned that the Court will reinstate several requirements to the HP filing process. These changes will make it impossible to use our tool in its current form.

These requirements include:

As of today, New York City residents have far fewer options for filing cases:

Housing Court Information:

New York County (Manhattan)
111 Centre Street, New York, NY 10013

Kings County (Brooklyn)
141 Livingston Street, Brooklyn, NY 11201

Queens County
89–17 Sutphin Boulevard, Jamaica, New York 11435

Bronx County
1118 Grand Concourse Bronx, NY 10456

Richmond County (Staten Island)
927 Castleton Avenue Staten Island, New York 10310

These abrupt changes make our tool inoperable. Until the courthouse doors open to the public, it will be extremely difficult for tenants to vindicate their rights to a safe habitable apartment through the NYC court system. Despite this setback, JustFix will continue to work to ensure that every New Yorker has equal access to justice.

While the HP Action tool remains inoperable, we recommend contacting Housing Court Answers for assistance to file an HP Action. Call (212) 962–4795, Monday- Friday, 9am- 5pm.

Visit JustFix.nyc to access our other tenant advocacy tools and subscribe to our newsletter for more updates and information.


The JustFix Team



Get the Medium app

A button that says 'Download on the App Store', and if clicked it will lead you to the iOS App store
A button that says 'Get it on, Google Play', and if clicked it will lead you to the Google Play store

We build free tools for tenants to exercise their rights to a livable home. #HousingIsAHumanRight