If you are like me looking forward to ditching all those artificial cleaning products, then there is a reason to rejoice. Simple food items that are easily available in the kitchen can be used for cleaning purpose. How does that sound? Yes, now you do not have to spend extra bucks buying that expensive artificial cleaner. All you have to do is spend some time figuring out what all products you have at home and start your cleaning process.
1) Lemon: Want to clean and disinfect your microwave oven or remove the stubborn stain on your cutting board? Use lemon abundantly. Microwave a piece of lemon on high and let it sit for some time. The steam produced loosens all the dirt which can later be wiped and cleaned. For cleaning the cutting board, sprinkle some salt on half a piece of lemon. Scrub it on the board and clean it. Orange can also be used instead of lemon as both the fruits have the same property.
2) Salt: Crystal salt can be used to scrub and clean utensils. If wine is spilled on the bed linen then blot the area with a paper towel. Immediately, sprinkle some salt over the stain and let it sit for some time. Scrub and wash the area with water.
3) Potato peel: Potato peel can be effectively used to remove rust. For this, dip the peel on dish soap or baking soda and rub it on top of the rust. Keep rubbing till the rust disappears.
4) Green tea: Tired of the pungent smell inside the refrigerator? Place some green tea leaves inside the refrigerator. This helps removing all bad odor from inside.
5) Baking soda: This is an all-purpose cleaner available in most of the houses. It can be used to clean and disinfect carpet and mattress and almost all electronic appliances like dishwasher and washing machine. Do you feel your silver utensils lost its sheen? Then mix baking soda with water and scrub and clean the utensil. It will get back its original glow.
6) Vinegar: Just like baking soda, vinegar can also be used to clean your appliances, freshen up the carpet and to disinfect and clean bath tub. It can also be used to clean dirty socks, restore the shine on old handbags and shoes and also to liven up droopy flowers.
7) Onion: Onion can be used to effectively clean grill grates. For this, heat the oven to a high temperature and rub the inside of the onion onto the grate using a long fork. This will remove all the stubborn grime and dirt from the grates.
8) Banana peel: Blend the banana peel with little water to make a paste. Use this paste to polish your silverware
9) Cucumber: Slices of cucumber can be used to polish stainless steel including your utensils and faucets.
10) Walnut: Cut walnut into half and use it to remove scratches from furniture.
Thus, food items can be used not just for cooking and eating purpose but can also be used effectively for cleaning purpose as well. It will not only make a natural cleaning solution but is pocket-friendly as well.
Originally published at https://www.justlife.com on July 27, 2017.