For a normal household, it is hard to imagine a day without washing machine. We are so dependent on this machine on a day to day basis. But how many of you have ever thought of cleaning the washing machine? Not many. That is the truth. Even though washing machine is automatically cleaned every day when you operate it, there are chances that mold and dirt might accumulate in hard to reach hidden spots.
The cleaning process is different for both top load and front load machines as the front load machine has extra fittings. Here are few steps to follow
Top Load Machine
- Set the temperature of the machine to high, the wash cycle to the highest level and switch on the machine.
- Once the water is filled, add 4 cups of white vinegar to it.
- Close the lid and start the wash cycle.
- Before it goes to the rinse mode, allow it to sit for several minutes so that the vinegar can work on the bacteria and mold present inside the machine.
- Complete the wash cycle.
- If required, repeat the process once again.
Front Load Machine
- Add ½ cup of baking soda in the detergent compartment of the machine and 2 cups of vinegar on to the drum.
- Set the temperature to high and switch on the machine.
- The baking soda and vinegar works on any mold or mineral deposit on the machine and clears it off.
- Use a clean scrubber to clean near the opening of the machine.
Cleaning the washing machine once a month ensures that the machine is not only clean but also free of mold and any bad odor.
Originally published at https://www.justlife.com on February 12, 2017.