Off late you might have heard a lot about essential oil and how it can be used in your home, as a beauty product and also as a medicine for various ailments. What exactly is an essential Oil? An essential oil is one that is extracted from a plant and which retains the characteristic fragrance from the source it is extracted. This oil can be extracted either from the leaf, flower, bark or seed of the plant and carries with it various benefits.
Here we are going to share few ways in which essential oil can be used to purify the indoor air and bring in fragrance to your home
- For carpet: Mix one cup of baking soda with 5–6 drops of orange essential oil. Spray it onto the carpet and let it sit for few minutes. The baking soda will absorb the bad odor of the carpet and the essential oil will provide good fragrance to it.
- For curtains: You can make a natural fabric conditioner with essential oil. For this, mix 1 table spoon of baking soda and 10 drops of essential oil of your choice in a spray bottle. Top it with 2 cups of water and spray it on the curtain. This provides a nice refreshing fragrance all over the room.
- For pet odor: To remove pet odor, add 10 drops of essential oil to the water used for mopping. Clean the area from where the odor emanates. Essential oil can neutralize the smell of pet odor.
- For the wardrobe: Add 2 drops of basil, lavender and geranium onto a cotton ball and place it inside the wardrobe. This can leave a refreshing fragrance inside the wardrobe and on your clothes.
- For the mattress: To freshen up a mattress, mix your favorite essential oil with baby powder and sprinkle it onto the mattress. This can remove any stale smell and refresh the mattress.
- For bathroom: Natural aroma like pine, fir and lemon would be best for the bathroom. Place a few drops of any of this essential oil onto a cotton ball and place it on the corners of the bathroom. Alternatively, you can also sprinkle few drops on dry flowers and place it beside the sink. This creates a wonderful fragrance all over your bath area.
- For kitchen: To mask the smell of cooking, place an extra pan filled with water and drop spices like cinnamon, cloves and cardamom in it. This helps to neutralize the smell of cooking.
- For the entire house: To freshen up the entire house, fill a spray bottle with water and add your preferred essential oil onto it. Spray it in all rooms of your house.
In addition, essential oil like lemon and tea tree oil can also be used for cleaning and also to ward off pests. If you do not have stock of essential oil it is time to act right away!
Originally published at https://www.justlife.com on January 25, 2017.