Food and environmental protection, green action in hospital.
Even if every piece of plastic is discarded, most of it still exists somewhere on the planet and does not make them disappear. The Greenpeace Organization also constantly promotes the fulfillment of corporate social responsibility and environmental friendliness.
To implement the plastic reduction policy, since January 1, 2018, the Environmental Protection Administration of the Executive Yuan expanses the “no free plastic bags” policy to the use of 7 major types of shopping plastic bags.
As a diet supply department, we treat this as our responsibility to promote green action with eating.
We promote the environmental protection by following the rules, advocating habits, forming information systems, in the following order:
- The implementation of waste classification in the staff restaurant. Effective waste classification can assist with management.
- Amending and updating the meal application “According to the new policy, employees should bring their own tablewares for meal”. Each month, the departments apply for 5,000 to 7000 meals at various meetings. By setting the rules, it can save about 90% of the amount of tableware provided per month.
- Promoting environmental protection policies in the staff restaurant, we are encouraging employees to reduce the use of disposable tableware. This environmental protection policy was launched in August 2017 and continued to be announced through various methods such as holding environmental lectures, selling of non-disposable tableware, giving sweet soup during the anniversary event, and encouraging of self-prepared tableware.
- Updating the system with “Bring your own tableware discount”. Since 2018, the top 20 environmental responder of each month have been given to employees’ restaurant coupons.
- Promoting the concept of “reducing leftover food” and reduce food waste. Employees can choose different servings according to their own appetite to avoid excessive food waste.
The average monthly self-prepared tableware accounted for 93.4% of the total meals, and 6.6% for the application of tableware. This resulted in the saving of 116,014 pair of disposable chopsticks since the rules updated.(Table. 1 )
According to the rule“Bring your own tableware discount”, 8,656 people bring their own tablewares to the staff restaurants for meal.(Figure. 1 )
Department of Nutrition and Foodservice, which includes the use of packaging materials, tableware, food supply, kitchen waste disposal, are closely related to the environmental issues, it has also been our focused topic continuously.
KEYWORDS：environmental protection, hospital green action
＃發表於 第七屆亞太膳食學會 The 7th Asian Congress of Dietetics HongKong