Makers Academy — 21 days in
Makers Academy Week3 Day 7
So 3 weeks in to the course. 25% done. In a way it feels like the time has shot by, another it seems insane that I’ve only known these people for 3 weeks. I’ve received so much support and kindness and empathy in past 3 weeks from such a large group of people. So far so best career/learning decision of my life.
I’ve learned and utilized:
- Single Responsibility Principle
- Writing readable code
- London method of unit testing (doubles, mocks, stubs)
- Read and use error messages
- Writing good class, method, and variable names.
- Rspec unit tests
- Rspec feature tests using Capybara.
- Dependency Injection.
- Who Sandi Metz and Dave Thomas are (legends both of them)
- Sinatra Framework
- Capybara fun.
- Basic basic basics of HTML.
- Writing good READMEs.
- Skinny Controllers, Fat Models and Dumb Views.
- Get/Post/Redirect cycle
- Server Client relationship (stateless)
- Coveralls report
Here’s how I’ve been spending my time
- I’ve spent most weekdays from 0830–1900/2000 in Makers HQ.
- I’ve spent most weekends doing 7–9 hours a day coding in British Library/cafe/home.
- I’ve spent an average of 75% of nights dreaming about code.
- I’ve paired with 14 lovely people. Thanks to Pete, Han, Anne, Harsheet, Shane, Joj, Paul, Simon, Phoebe, Juanyan, Tobenna, Nick, Patrick and Oliver.
- Had 14 stand-ups with our wonderful coachineers.
- I’ve completed 3 weekend challenges all on my ownsome.
- Done 3 code reviews where I’ve learned an absolute ton.
- I’ve gotten thousands of error messages and a few green passed tests along the way.
- I’ve written 21 blog posts including this one!
- Done yoga 5 times.
- Meditated 14 times.
- Played a lot of ping pong.
- Made a lot of friends.
- Had so much craic.
- Struggled and felt stupid a lot.
- Had moments of intense triumph on an almost daily basis.
- Woke up every morning without an alarm excited about the day ahead.
Thanks to Makers and everyone there for such a brilliant first 3 weeks.