How to Quickly Create an Inventory of Your SharePoint Documents
Pro(ductivity) Tip# 90
One of the benefits of storing your documents in SharePoint Online is the ability to create an inventory by exporting a content listing into an excel spreadsheet.
This is a tremendously powerful functionality because you can:
- Review the library for out of date documents that can be deleted
- Identify duplicate content that can be removed
- Identify document versions that can be managed
- Identify documents that are no longer used per modified dates
- Track who has created and modified documents within the library
The export feature also helps you keep the library clean by providing visibility into what is being stored. This export feature is unavailable within basic shared drives.
Another important thing to mention is that excel has filter, sort and conditional formatting features that make it easy for you to shift through your documentation for important trends. When cleaning or reorganizing your SharePoint library you should always generate an inventory first, so that you can plan how you will manage the content.
- Open SharePoint Online library
- Click the library tab in the upper left hand corner of the screen
-A ribbon will appear
- Click on the Export to Excel icon in the center of the ribbon
- A dialogue box may appear confirming the export request
- Click OK in the dialogue box to confirm download
- A download file will appear in the bottom left side of the screen
- Click the arrow on the right hand side of the downloaded file
- A dialogue box will appear with an open file option
- Select open this file from the dialogue box
- The file will begin to open