Why did Slack go down in Jan 2021 — #6
Welcome to Learning at Lambert Labs session #6. This week, Tom Kobialka, takes us through how the popular business communication platform, Slack, suffered a disastrous outage on 4th Jan 2021 and what could have been done to prevent it.
In Today’s Learning Session:
- The origins of the Slack outage on 4th Jan 2021 and the ensuing twitter storm.
- Deep dive into how Slack’s app architecture works.
- Websocket connection of clients to a message server.
- How all regular Web API requests and messages are eventually handled by the backend server.
- The explosive growth of Slack.
- Slack vs. quota limits and their solution.
- AWS VPC Peering and Transit Gateway.
- The timeline of the outage.
- Analysis of blame: Slack vs. AWS.
- Q&A from our developers.
🔊 Subscribe to our channel for weekly learning sessions! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi7G5sY0IWqSNUMnRptuJmw
🔗 Lambert Labs Links 🔗 :
🌎 Website: https://lambertlabs.com/
📱 Twitter: https://twitter.com/lambertlabs
📝 LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/lambertlabs
📂 GitHub: https://github.com/lambertlabs
⚡ Please leave a LIKE and SUBSCRIBE for more content!