20 #MustDo Things for your 20s
Angeleno magazine, based in Los Angeles, have recently published an article about #MustDo things to do throughout the various years of your life as a woman. For those of you that have missed it, I’ve selected the bit that inspired this blog below:
Now, I don’t know about you guys, but I’m in my (late) 20s and I have to say that of all the life goals I have ticked off and have yet to tick off, “Breast Augmentation” just didn’t make the list. I’m totally disgusted with this article for many reasons. Putting aside the obviously repulsive and actually incredibly boring body shaming that this magazine promotes by suggesting that a woman would need surgery to enhance or improve her breasts, it completely trivialises breast surgery. “This implant is designed to create the most natural look while achieving a significant enhancement in size”. It’s ridiculous to suggest that a women should judge her worth based on her breast size or appearance in any way. Although it is worth noting that a number of the magazine advertisers are plastic surgeons so this article clearly is not unbiased. Nevertheless, I feel so disappointed to see an article like this make print — it’s insulting to women everywhere. Lest this get at all misinterpreted, this blog is not about whether I think surgery is right or wrong. Frankly, what other women choose to do with their beautiful bodies is very personal and none of my business. What I DO think is wrong is suggesting that this is a #mustdo. In response, I have made my own list of 20 Things that I think are a #mustdo.
- Ditch the job you hate. Go after the one that makes you happy.
- Try out that new hobby you’ve always wanted to — go on, just do it!
- Learn to stick out things that are tough, learn that you are tougher.
- Travel impulsively to somewhere new, on a last minute whim.
- Set yourself challenges that scare you. You are capable of much more than you think and it’s really fun to find that out.
- Find exercise you enjoy — your body is meant to move!
- Treat yourself to a pedicure every once in a while.
- Learn a new language (or at least a bit of it.)
- See the world, it’s amazing out there.
- Say Yes More, you never know where it might lead. I borrowed this one from my friend Dave.
- See more sunrises/sunsets. It’s worth the sleep deprivation, I promise!
- During a night out, challenge someone to a dance off — no dancing skills required, points for enthusiasm and for disregarding how foolish you might look.
- Get comfortable in your own skin. You have one body and one life — enjoy them both.
- Make new friends
- [caption id=”attachment_563" align=”aligncenter” width=”600"]
- Sailing back from Sweden. Photo Credit: Tom Boyce[/caption]
- Be brave enough to walk away from anyone that doesn’t support or encourage you, life is too short to have negative people in your life.
- Ask that person out for a date. I dare you.
- Take a sleeper train.
- Quit beating yourself up over calories. Balance goes a long way and if you generally eat well and exercise regularly, the odd bit of chocolate does not signal Armageddon.
- Get good at French plaiting your hair — it’s really useful if you’ll be without the ability to wash your hair for a couple of days. Just saying.
- Lots of laughter.
- What #MustDo things would you add?