From the Network: Alum News, Job Postings, & More
later that night
i held an atlas in my lap
ran my fingers across the whole world
where does it hurt?
~ Warsan Shire, “what they did yesterday afternoon”
The events of the last few weeks have left all of us changed. On a local level, we lost one of our beloved training sites, Mayacamas Ranch, to the wildfires (donations to staff of the ranch can be made here). Westerbeke Ranch, another of our training site partners in Sonoma, was close to the fires but not damaged, and is now housing first-responders and evacuees.
Though so much has been lost, here at Rockwood we’ve been able to continue our work of helping people discover themselves and their inherent leadership. We launched the inaugural cohort of a brand-new fellowship, Leadership Now: Ohio, and are preparing to announce the 2017 National Leading From The Inside Out Yearlong fellows.
But it’s not just our own work here at Rockwood that gives us hope. Our ever-growing and always-inspiring network of leaders are a constant source of energy and joy for us.
Join us in celebrating their work out in the world:
- Nita Chaudhary and Sarah Thomas wrote a piece for Teen Vogue on the anniversary of the leak of Trump’s “Access Hollywood” tapes
- Cristina Jiménez Moreta was named a MacArthur Fellow
- Victor Narro was quoted in an article about “Sanctuary State” Senate Bill 54
- Kierra Johnson was appointed Deputy Executive Director of the National LGBTQ Task Force
- Malkia Cyril, Yance Ford, and Amber Goodwin were included in the 2017 The Root 100
- Anthem Salgado interviewed Akaya Windwood for his podcast, Art of Hustle
- Morgan Simon was featured on The Leonard Lopate Show (read a chapter from her new book Real Impact here)
- Ai-Jen Poo, with Palak Shah, announced National Domestic Workers Alliance living wage standards for cleaners, and Airbnb’s Living Wage Pledge built on those standards
- Amy Hagstrom Miller wrote about why Whole Woman’s Health offered free abortions to victims of Hurricane Harvey for Self
- Alicia Garza was interviewed for The Cut
- Jaime Grant was named Executive Director of PFLAG
News & Inspiration
- Colorlines shared insights from alum adrienne maree brown’s book, Emergent Strategy
- NonprofitAF rallied for a new definition of “equity”