Layers of Meaning
Understanding Media: The Extensions of Man
I teach a course called GD157 Digital Design Media I at the University of the Fraser Valley.
Terms and phrases such as "the global village" and "the medium is the message" are now part of the lexicon, and…
Given the events of recent days, the media messages that we have been receiving, sharing and discussing are alarming. The challenge of our times is to avoid being overwhelmed by these messages and the implications that they have for the future of humanity and of the planet.
I have been wondering how to teach today’s class. We are focusing on the design concepts that we are borrowing from the work of Ellen Lupton and Jennifer Cole Phillips, as they explore the basics of design, finding inspiration from the preliminary course taught at the Bauhaus by Johannes Itten and Josef Albers.
The following design elements have been drawn from the Lupton and Phillips book, Graphic Design: The New Basics.
- Point, Line + Plane
- Rhythm + Balance
Our schedule covers 13 weeks, and the last two topics from the book were outside of the scope of the course.
Graphic Design: The New Basics
Layers are simultaneous, over- lapping components of an image or sequence. They are at work in countless media software…
Design involves a process of learning the basic principles of design and putting them into practice. These exercises are intended to help build an understanding of these principles by introducing a different concept each week that can be put into practice using professional design tools, such as Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop. We will engage in a process of group critique to become more familiar with each concept by discussing the merits of the work that we produce.
Each week, we will take 30 minutes to work on an 8" × 8" square Illustrator artboard or Photoshop canvas that represents one of thirteen elements of design. The following definitions are quoted from the Lupton and Phillips book, Graphic Design: The New Basics. We will start simply and build up our skills one week at a time.
Layers are simultaneous, overlapping components of an image or sequence. They are at work in countless media software programs, from Photoshop and Illustrator to audio, video, and animation tools, where multiple layers of image and sound (tracks) unfold in time. Maps use overlapping layers to associate and separate different levels of data, allowing each level to contribute to the whole while maintaining its own identity. Printing techniques use multiple layers of ink to build a single image. Although the layered archeology of the printed page or digital file tends to disappear in the final piece, experimental work often uncovers visual possibilities by exposing layers.
Layers of Meaning in Literature
Works of literature always have two layers:
- The literal, surface layer (physical events of the story: 5 Ws and H)
- The figurative deeper message
A story is seldom only about the literal detail it presents as the author uses many details to convey a deeper point about society, culture or human nature.
Redshift and Blueshift
For this exercise, explore the concepts of redshift and blueshift. In physics, redshift happens when light or other electromagnetic radiation from an object is increased in wavelength, or shifted to the red end of the spectrum.
Redshift - Wikipedia
In physics, redshift happens when light or other electromagnetic radiation from an object is increased in wavelength…
What Are Redshift and Blueshift?
What Are Redshift and Blueshift?
Redshift and blueshift describe how light changes as objects in space move closer or farther away from us.
Red Brain Blue Brain
The Hidden Brain podcast, Red Brain Blue Brain, was recently describing a correlation between the liberal and conservative divide and the way people tend to respond to fear.
Nature, Nurture And Your Politics
When most of us think about how we came to our political views, we often give a straightforward answer. We believe our…
The creative process is iterative. To iterate is to repeat. In life, we learn through trial and error. Failure is not as terrible an experience as we make it out to be, depending on how we respond to it. As designers, we develop resilience by learning from our failures. Design Kit by IDEO follows this human-centred design process:
- Ideate: Coming up with new ideas
- Prototype: Making your idea real or tangible in some way so that people can interact with it and give you feedback
- Iterate: Repeatedly making new versions of an idea, with the intent of making it better each time
Design Kit is IDEO.org's platform to learn human-centered design, a creative approach to solving the world's most…
When you work for someone, you tend not to be able to express your own personal voice. You are usually working as a representative of a government, a corporation, or organization (NGO, educational institution or academy, scientific academy, mosque, temple, or church).
The educational environment is your chance to express your personal, individual voice. And when you speak in the language of design, the culture tends to pay attention. Here are some suggestions of ideas that can inspire your creativity and our group discussions:
- What is design?
- Why does it matter?
- Who are you?
- What matters to you?
We will take 30 minutes to explore and discuss the ideas, images and designs that inspire us as we open our eyes to the world of design and discover our own voice in the process of putting design principles into practice.
We will use these critique sessions to learn to communicate in the language of design with humility, empathy and respect for others.
How to Develop an Empathic Approach in Design Thinking
Empathy requires us to put aside our learning, culture, knowledge, opinions, and worldview purposefully in order to…
How do we perceive difference?
Empathy is the capacity to understand or feel what another person is experiencing from within their frame of reference, that is, the capacity to place oneself in another’s position.
Empathy - Wikipedia
The environment has been another interesting topic of study. Many theorize that environmental factors, such as…
What Does It Mean To Raise A Spiritual Child? | WNYC | Boo York Pumpkin Afradio, Podcasts, Live…
There has been an increasing body of research over the last few years about the connection between mental and physical…
Raising the Stakes
What is the greatest immediate challenge that humanity faces?
The Worst Case Scenario
How did World War II start?
How and why did World War 2 start?
The Treaty of Versailles may have set the scene, but WW2's main progenitor was one man: Adolf Hitler
A Design Challenge
- What if there was a civil war in the USA?
- What if the militant right won the war?
- What would you do if the USA annexed Canada?
Rebuilding Our World
Reimagining the Design Process
- A Brief History Of Animation
- Gertie the Dinosaur (1914) — World’s 1st Keyframe Animation Cartoon — Winsor McCay
- The Animation Process From 1938
- White Rabbit — Jefferson Airplane (Grace Slick) Disney’s Alice in Wonderland 1951
- Internet rabbit hole
- It’s almost Halloween. Here are some creepy Internet rabbit holes to explore.
- Noam Chomsky — The 5 Filters of the Mass Media Machine
- Leslie Moonves on Donald Trump: “It May Not Be Good for America, but It’s Damn Good for CBS”
- CBS Head, “For Us, Economically” Trump is a “Good Thing.”
- “It Might Not Be Good for America, But It’s Good for Us”: How the Media Got Rich on Trump’s Rise
- CBS CEO: “For Us, Economically, Donald’s Place in This Election Is a Good Thing”
- Manufacturing Consent
- Noam Chomsky — Manufacturing Consent
- Noam Chomsky- Manufacturing consent (1992)
- Sinclair’s script for stations
- Black Mirror — Season 4 | Official Trailer | Netflix
- Noam Chomsky on the new Trump era | UpFront special
- How to Develop an Empathic Approach in Design Thinking
- IxDA Student Design Charette: Design brief
- Student Design Challenges pitches 2018
Empathy and Well-Being
- Google’s new focus on well-being started five years ago with this presentation
- Center for Humane Technology: Technology is hijacking our minds and society.
- Wikipedia: Empathy
- Robert Plutchik’s Wheel of Emotions.
- What Are Redshift and Blueshift?
- 2018 Alta Motors Redshift SM
- Redshift for Cinema 4D : V01
- TRAILER / learn. Redshift for Cinema 4D : V01
- Understanding Redshift Workload Management
- When Republicans Were Blue and Democrats Were Red
- How to Rig an Election: The G.O.P. aims to paint the country red
- White evangelicals are the sleeping giant of the 2018 midterms
- White evangelical Protestants, however defined, are highly religious
- Myths Debunked: Why Did White Evangelical Christians Vote for Trump?
- How the faithful voted: A preliminary 2016 analysis
- How Fascism Made a Fool Out of You
- From oilslick to tyranny
- The Caravan: A Donald J. Trump Film
- Making a Hand Drawn Animated 16mm film
- Urban Dictionary: Fascism
- Wikipedia: Fascism
- “How Fascism Works”: Jason Stanley On Trump, Bolsonaro and the Rise of Fascism Across the Globe
- Trump: I am a nationalist and proud of it
- Fascism Came To America Wrapped In A Rainbow Flag And Wearing A Pussyhat
- Rebirth of a Nation: Can states’ rights save us from a second civil war?
- Yemen ‘worst humanitarian crisis in the world’: EU
- The Intercept: The Yemen War, Humanitarian Crisis
- Jamal Khashoggi’s fiancee hits out at Trump — video
- Jair Bolsonaro Is Elected President of Brazil. Read His Extremist, Far-Right Positions in His Own Words.
- The Lessons for Western Democracies From the Stunning Victory of Brazil’s Jair Bolsonaro