5 Simple Steps to get your Wife’s Surname Changed

Firstly, clarifying about certain myths which exist in our country, many people are under the assumption that a woman must legally change her last name to her husband’s last name. This is not the case. She is free to keep her own name, hyphenate her name with her husband’s name, take her husband’s name, or come up with a completely different name. If the couple agrees, they can even adopt the woman’s last name.

Here is the process which should be followed for incorporating such change:-

  1. Marriage Certificate — The first and foremost step that is required is to obtain a marriage certificate. Now, this differs in each state across India and you need to follow the formalities as per the state you are residing in. The certificate would be obtained anywhere between 7 days to 3 months from applying.
  2. Application for Name Change — Once the marriage certificate is obtained, then you need to apply for a name change at the office of the State Government Gazette. They would include your name change and make it official through announcements through local newspapers. A copy of this advertisement could serve as a legal document for a name change.
  3. Affidavit Option — Alternatively, if you do not wish to follow this process, a Joint notarized affidavit from a public notary would suffice the purpose.
  4. Document Change — Once this is done, then with these documents you need to make the necessary changes in your other documents which include PAN Card, Bank Documents, Passport, Driving license, Loans, Insurance etc.
  5. Communicate The Change — Also make necessary information’s at the Local municipality authority, residential society, children’s school and other places that needs to be updated.

Changing your name after marriage to something other than your husband’s name

Changing your name after marriage to something other than your husband’s name is completely acceptable. It sometimes requires more than just the marriage certificate, however. You will need to get a court order for your name change.