PAUL AND PABLO — EPISODE # 39
An Alarm Clock for Awakening — Part 2
In the last episode Pablo and Isabelle tried to find out who this “I” that hides behind the scenes and underneath our characters really is: Who is the “I” who says “I” doubt, “I” am angry, “I” am sad? Pablo does have seen the alarm clock that allows us to leave the stage and get out of our worst nightmares. Now he wonders what would happen if the alarm clock didn’t work for some reason, if he fell asleep on the planet of sadness, for example. Is this what we call depression?
Let’s join, Paul and Pablo, as they explore the mechanics of awakening, the mechanics of our inner alarm clock.
Last night Paul met Max, a former colleague. Max was feeling desperate. His wife who has been depressed for a few months had finally been hospitalized.
Today is Wednesday. Pablo is working from home doing some research for his presentation. Paul is working next to him. Both have decided to stay at the dining room table instead of isolating themselves, Pablo in his room and Paul in his office. The memory of Max’s distress passes like a cloud in Paul’s mind. Pablo just happens to glance up and sees the shadow of this cloud in his father’s eyes.
- “Dad! are you ok?”, asks Pablo. Paul looks up at his son.
- “Oh,..well, yes”, he says “I’ve just been thinking about Max. You see, his wife is really depressed and she had to go into hospital”, Paul explains. Pablo looks over at his dad, concerned.
- “How do we know when we’re depressed, Dad?”, he asks.
- “Well, I suppose that we are sad more and more often, that the future looks darker and darker and after a while maybe we don’t even see that there is any way out”, Paul answers sadly and Pablo continues.
- “Yesterday I was very sad. Today, YOU look really miserable and MUM feels that her project in Latin America has no way out. So, the three of us have the three different conditions! Does that mean that WE are depressed?”, asks Pablo. Paul smiles at his son’s logic and answers cheerfully:
- “There is no need to worry. None of us is even close to depression. These are just feelings that are passing through”. Pablo is relieved.
- “You know dad, yesterday when I was sad, mum told me a story and if I got it right, we are like the sun that lights up and allows us to see everything that is happening in our lives. And sometimes what is happening is so sad, so scary, so intense that we get so caught up in the story, but it is the way it feels in movies. Actually Dad, it’s like Eric’s virtual reality goggles. Last week we were totally in the story of Hernan Cortés who discovered cocoa in Mexico. It was so cool! Eric, Hernan and I were in a big boat. And we were facing the Mayan pyramids surrounded by Indians covered with feathers of all kinds of colours, which made us both terribly afraid…and Hernan suddenly appeared to my right, handing me a bowl of hot chocolate. I was so surprised. I dropped my drink for real. The Hernan story was fake, but the drink was real, and the sound of my glass smashing took me out of the story.”
- “Well said, Pablo”, says Paul, “you absolutely were the one holding the virtual reality goggles, the one watching the story, immersing yourself in the adventure that was unfolding before your very eyes. We all know this truth but it’s so easy to forget when the story is so captivating. And then we remember when something or someone takes us out of our dream. And we forget again. Later on we remember.”
- “Well, I am happy that we have an inside alarm clock”, Pablo says with a sigh of relief. “Saved by the bell!”. That is what Eric said when we were both trapped inside the story with the virtual reality goggles. By the way, it is what Eric says, when the bell rings at the end of the geography lessons”, Pablo giggles.
- “Hum! What do you mean with this inside alarm clock?”, asks Paul guessing that a nugget of wisdom is on its way…
If you want to hear Pablo’s nugget of wisdom, this story is for you.
This short story has been co-created by Isabelle Caratti and Lexie Bebbington.
Isabelle and Lexie are both passionate about helping people experience life with more flow, ease, and love.
They look forward to your comments and feedback:
See you soon with Paul and Pablo.
Holistic Coaching to Be The Change You Want.
Les 3P se transforment en 3B : c’est la magie de la Vie ou le pouvoir transformateur des 3P ! 😉
Be The Change You Want” est une formation / exploration, en français et à la carte, pour tous ceux et celles qui veulent faire l’expérience de la B-attitude.