I Overcame Fear to Begin My Writing
And What I Learned From Medium This Year
Fear prevents us from achieving our goals. We tend to fear what people think about us. We fear the unknowns. We fear doing what we genuinely want to do because we don’t think we’ll succeed.
Fear prevented me from starting my writing career; in fact, each of these reasons did as well. I have always wanted to become a writer but kept making excuses for myself, many because of fear and anxiety. However, after creating stories for 11 months and earning a community of over 600 followers, including friends, I have finally broken free from the chains of anxiety and use writing as a creative outlet for my thoughts and research.
This year I spent countless hours writing and editing to create 64 stories that total 4.5 hours of reading time. Thanks to people like you, these stories have been read for almost 7 hours. While read time is an excellent measure of success, I chose to look at views, reads, and fans as well.
I weighted each of these metrics to create a success score for myself. My read and fans ratio make up 70% of this measure, while the other 30% is comprised of the number of stories I write and the amount of money made each month. This success score allows me to gauge how productive I am and well written my stories are.
For example, in July, I didn’t write any stories as I focused my time on other content such as Udemy classes. This caused my score to find a low of 18.3%. In September, I had my first and only story curated, which caused me to have a success score of 131.6%. As this is weighted in such an odd way, there is no minimum or maximum. I simply compare myself with the baseline of averages, which sits at 59%.
This score has inspired me to create more meaningful content as well. I have collected 2286 views and 1393 views, which lead to 202 fans. Therefore, my average read ratio is 55.8% and my fans ratio is 13.2%. The fans ratio is calculated by the number of reads divided by the number of claps.
I also chose to calculate my estimated number of reads based on views. The chart below shows an equation that allows me to evaluate how many readers will read any story. While the equation is not 100% accurate as some stories are more attractive than others, it provides an expectation of how many reads a story might have.
I wrote for 8 publications throughout the year, including self-published stories and my publication, Let’s Be Leaders. While I published most of my stories in The Innovation, ILLUMINATION, and on my Medium page, they did not always have the most success.
I found that my listicle about anxiety published in Better Advice was the longest story I had written; about a 14 minute read. Runner’s Life was my most successful publication as another listicle, one about running was distributed and earned me a view ratio of 78 and read ratio of 52.5. My final ratio, fan ratio, was achieved by the story published in Better Advice, which had earned 10 claps.
When I joined Medium, I wanted to “get rich quick.” Selfish me found recently that life; and Medium isn’t about monetizing everything. It’s about creating meaningful connections that propel me to success.
That’s why I’m proud to say that I have only made $11.58 this year on Medium but have created a community of 668 followers. While I follow 1240 other writers, I’m OK with having a follow ratio of 1.86. This means that I have so much room for improvement and thoroughly enjoy reading others’ ideas and stories.
My other social media pages have accrued a few more followers as well, thanks to writing. I now have 97 Twitter followers, 100 Instagram followers, and 0 YouTube followers. Yup, you read that right. I plan to build my YouTube account and use it as another creative outlet for my ideas, hence the number.
I’m excited for the next 12 months of my writing career as I have nearly 180 ideas and drafts waiting to be finished and published. I plan to reach 1,000 Medium followers by March, my first anniversary. Money isn’t the biggest goal for me, so I track it but don’t intend to have a goal.
I recommend each writer track your own stats as it is beneficial and shows me valuable information. Open an Excel document and copy your Medium stats to make cool graphs and such, as seen here.
Thanks for reading, and cheers to a successful 2021! I’ll go enjoy my meal that your reading has provided me with.