Calling All Student Founders…
Announcing Lightspeed’s 2018 Summer Fellowship
Every summer, Lightspeed sponsors a limited number of fellowships to support entrepreneurship and innovation among highly motivated engineering and computer science students, providing everything from working space in our offices to mentoring and advising from founders and Partners.
This is the 12th year of the fellowship. Every year, we receive hundreds of applications and bring the top 5–7 teams to Silicon Valley to work on their ideas.
Today, we’re opening up the application process for the 2018 Summer Fellowship at Lightspeed.
If you’re interested in applying (apply here: Lightspeed Summer Fellowship) and want to decide if this program is right for you, keep reading…
The Lightspeed Summer Fellowship is geared towards student entrepreneurs who want to work on their startup idea without having to worry about getting a job on top of that to help pay the bills. We want people, especially students, to experience startup life full-time, and have the opportunity to learn if it is something they are truly passionate about, and want to pursue.
In return, we build relationships with young, talented entrepreneurs. We are in the business of fostering entrepreneurship and we have a very long term view on what this means. The opportunity to work with bright, energetic people who have ideas about how to change the world is exactly why we run the fellowship.
- Availability to participate in this year’s program, which will run from June 18th to August 24th, 2018.
- Teams of 2-4. At least one team member who was a full-time student — graduate or undergraduate — in Engineering or Computer Science during the 2017–2018 academic year.
- All team members who receive the Fellowship funds must work in the Menlo Park Office full-time for 10 weeks during the summer.
- If any of your team members change after the application deadline, you will be required to apply again.
What’s in it for you?
- Mentoring by 1–2 Lightspeed Partners
- Office space on Sand Hill Road
- Free cloud services: Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud, Microsoft Azure
- Up to $65,000 per team: $15,000 / individual + $5,000 / team
- No strings attached and Lightspeed does not ask for any equity or obligation in return.
Each team will be matched with one to two Lightspeed investment professionals for mentorship throughout the summer, in addition to receiving advice and guidance from Lightspeed operating professionals (talent, marketing, business development). The Venture Series course covers topics including hiring and compensation, venture capital economics, pitching investors, company-building strategies, and career advice. We also bring in founders, executives, and angel investors to share their insights and experiences from the real world of building a company. Fellows benefit greatly from the camaraderie that emerges from working with other entrepreneurs in a close environment and forming relationships that extend beyond their time in the program.
First round applications are due on January 19th. For more information, please visit Lightspeed Summer Fellowship website or contact Saqib E. Awan at email@example.com.