Keeping an Open Mind: How to Embrace New Ideas
You might find it tough to keep an open mind.
After all, there’s a certain comfort in being set in your ways.
However, opening your mind to the possibilities of new opportunities, knowledge, adventure, and even relationships could bring greater fulfillment and happiness to your life.
Find Your Motivation
“People often say that motivation doesn’t last. Well, neither does bathing — that’s why we recommend it daily.” — Zig Ziglar
In order to make it possible for you to embrace new ideas, it’s important to motivate yourself to try new things.
Why do you want to become more open?
Are you committed to it?
Are you willing to take action to make it happen?
Choose Areas To Develop
“Personal development is the belief that you are worth the effort, time and energy needed to develop yourself.” ―Denis Waitley
Which areas of your life do you want to open up to new ideas?
A simple example would be if you find that you’re eating the same things all the time, perhaps you’d like to try some variation in your menu.
To get your mind used to the idea, try at least one new food or recipe each week. It’s a simple and realistic approach!
You could start with one small area to open up to new ideas, and then gradually include more areas of your life. Starting small can help you ease into having an open mind, instead of making a sudden, drastic change in your life.
These tips will help you become more open to new ideas:
- Fight the urge to react in anger when you hear differing opinions. Instead, take a moment to yourself to find the wisdom to understand that everyone will not hold the same opinions as you. Try to put yourself in the other person’s shoes and see things their way.
- Avoid closing yourself off. Welcome new situations that are different from those you’re familiar with. When you’re exposed to differing opinions, look at them as learning experiences.
- Place yourself out of your comfort zone. Make the effort to journey out of your comfort zone often. If you have certain anxieties about new situations, you should still take this step, but make these changes slowly. Go to new places and try new things.
- Stay social and make new friends. You’ll find that you’re more likely to discover new opportunities to try new things when you stay social. Your friends might be trying new things that they can introduce you to as well. Also, when you make a new friend, they’ll likely have a unique set of interests for you to learn about to broaden your horizons.
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions. Sometimes the only way to learn more about a certain situation and keep an open mind is to ask a lot of questions to gain a better understanding. While you don’t want to intrude on someone’s personal life, if they’re willing to share information, you should be willing and eager to listen.
- Avoid speculation. Go out and live the experience before you form opinions about something. Rather than blindly believing what someone else says, or assuming that you won’t like it, find out for yourself if you like something or not. This could be as simple as trying a new food, activity, or hobby.
“A positive attitude is something everyone can work on, and everyone can learn how to employ it.” — Joan Lunden
When you have a positive attitude about new experiences, you can open yourself up to new discoveries every day. It’s a great way to keep your life fun and exciting!
Call To Action
If you want to be extraordinarily happy and create the life of your dreams, check out my checklist.
(P.S. I have included some Amazon affiliate links to help defray the ridiculously high cost of my daughter’s education)