Work With Us
Create with Living Out Loud.
Living Out Loud is dedicated to empowering writers to share their diverse and individual voices with the world.
Why Living Out Loud?
- We encourage different perspectives, fiery courage, and diversity
- Celebrate fresh and original voices
- Strive to create a safe, supportive and loving community of writers and readers
- Actively promote your work on Social Media.
- Work closely with you in bringing your best to your articles
- We want to hear what you’ve got to say, and our readers can’t wait to get their eyes on your work!
Plus, we have Medium’s one-of-a-kind, aminated firecracker, sexy Lexi working behind the scenes helping to bring an added spark to the Living Out Loud community.
Lexi believes in authentic, personal storytelling rooted in firsthand experience with loads of value in the form of personal lessons and significant takeaways for the reader.
She is looking for great writing.
All she asks is that your piece brings the real stuff to the page — we want to document what it means to Live Out Loud.
She wants pieces that shine with your unique sass, passion, spice, and flare because Living Out Loud is choosing a life with purpose and on your own terms, and well, Lexi is packing so much sass that she’s a rebel at heart.
Be Yourself. Be genuine, and let’s inspire others to do the same.
If you’ve got an article about Real Life Now that you think Lexi will love, please read the guidelines below before sending us your work.
How to send us your work.
If you are already a writer with Living Out Loud, then you know how this works:
- Select the draft you wish to submit
- Click the ellipses “…” to the right of the green Publish button on the upper right-hand side of your screen.
- Select “Add to publication.”
- Choose “Living Out Loud.”
- Click “Add draft” to submit your story for review.
- Wait patiently for your draft to be reviewed — our team is small but thorough.
If you’re a new writer and we’re open for new writer applications, send a link to your draft (along with an introduction, your Medium username, and links to previously published works) to email@example.com
NOTE: If you’ve been curated or published in Medium pubs, please mention that in your email.
We strongly encourage writers to submit Medium member-only (gated paywall) pieces. This ensures that you get paid for your writing, and you reach more readers via Medium topics.
We publish a wide variety of content here. So long as that is the story rooted in real-world knowledge or experience, provides meaningful advice while offering an original take on an important issue, or shares new insights or perspectives beyond conventional wisdom — we are interested.
Here’s a bit more:
1) Send us focused, interesting work that makes a point. If any kind of submission is rambling, unfocused, or seems more like a journal entry than an actual story, it’s not likely to be accepted.
We’re looking for well-developed stories with a solid structure and a clear point or resolution.
Does your piece provide a cool scope on Living Out Loud?
Does it showcase your unique life experiences?
Consider what Medium Staff says about this:
“In short, curators are looking for thoughtful, clearly written pieces that tell a compelling story, convey an interesting idea, or share a smart point of view. These can take many forms …We explicitly do not want to distribute misinformation, stories with clickbait headlines, stories that are primarily marketing a product or service, stories that use photos that the author doesn’t have the rights to use, or stories with excessive typos and errors.”
We feel the same way.
2) Make sure you edit and revise thoroughly before sending us your draft. This should be semi-obvious, but if you send us what is obviously a first or second draft — meaning there are typos, grammatical mistakes, or a general lack of structure or purpose — we will send it back.
Please note: We may revise the title or change the feature image to fit our editorial guidelines better.
3) The purpose of your piece cannot be to spread hate, disparage, elicit outrage, or otherwise cause harm. We are not in the business of censoring art, but we won’t provide a platform for writers whose work is clearly malicious or intent on drawing negative attention.
4) Use appropriate tags that designate genre content.
5) Source credit your beautiful image beneath your image.
If you’re looking for additional guidance, we recommend reviewing Medium’s curation guidelines and rules.
Lexi’s Fiction and Poetry Guidelines
Here’s the thing: We are writers, and we love stories. So we want to publish and showcase your flash fiction.
We want well-crafted fiction with a discernible plot and a solid story arc. Give us characters we care about, compelling conflict/tension, and a strong, satisfying resolution.
Well-constructed poetry reveals emotional depth. It shows us something without telling. So say more with less and write from your heart and soul. Be magical. Be inventive. Be inspiring.
Thank you for choosing to work with us. Let’s bring something great to the world together!
P.S. We value our writers and actively promote their articles with our pub on various social media platforms.